cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reccomendations for a new modem/router

GraveDigger

Reccomendations for a new modem/router

Hi peeps, I have Plusnet's FTTC (the full speed 76mbps one, whatever its called) with the Hub One and I'd like to replace it with something I have some control over. The Hub One is fine but I have the annoying issue where it makes noise when someone is using WiFi and its been driving me nuts for months. On top of that I would really like to be able to install OpenWRT, I know it can be done on the Hub One but I can't solder to save my life. I can prove this with the burnt trace on my Hub One.

I'd try and look myself but I don't really know what I'm looking for in terms of making sure its compatible with Plusnet.

I know it sounds stupid but I don't really know what my budget is as I don't know how much a compatible modem/router would be. £100? Again, not really sure.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
moansalot
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Reccomendations for a new modem/router

Hi

BT Home Hub 6 get good reviews on this Forum   - plenty of advice re setting them up for use on Plusnet - They handle multiple Wifi access much better than PN Hub One which has know issues in that respect.

- I'm Currently looking at costs / availability of HH6 on Ebay  plenty from £20 upwards  - 2nd hand - new _  there is someone selling Open WRT  modified HH5  for about £25  but I have no experience on these  - perhaps someone else can comment / advise

GraveDigger

I had seen the Smart Hub/Home Hub 6 but from what I can tell it doesn't have a way of installing OpenWRT on it sadly.

I'd be tempted by the HH5 with OpenWRT already on it but if I end up with another HH5 making noise every time I use the WiFi I think I'll totally lose my mind. Its so incredibly annoying, the router only sits a few feet from me when I'm sat on the sofa.

moansalot
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks GraveDigger

Currently running a HH5a  while  I sort out my connection  - Still not sure yet whether I'll jump ship later this month so holding off investing in a HH6 which only works on BT and Plusnet  Services apparently.

Cheers