cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bad internet and wi fi

pnhawkes
Hooked

Really bad internet and wi fi

Hi I have been a faithful Plusnet user for over 6 years and renewed with them loads of times but recently my broadband keeps dropping out all together and WiFi has got so bad I bought a WiFi extender to try and make it better but it is still bad so can I have a new router set please as I really believe that the 6 year plus old one is now playing up as my neighbor on talk talk says his broadband is perfect.
Please help me thanks
12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Really bad internet and wi fi

@pnhawkes Welcome to the forums. It may be the router, but is more likely to be the network/infrastructure. If you would like Community help, can you confirm whether you are on an ADSL or FTTC connection?

John
pnhawkes
Hooked

Hi thanks for looking I am 66 and completely computer illiterate but I do think I have the ADSL one all I know is I am getting fed up not getting what I am paying for what do you think.
Cheers Peter
jab1
Legend

@pnhawkes I'm 66 too, but fortunately not computer illiterate. Smiley

Unfortunately, without a bit more information, no-one is going to be able to help you - I doubt Plusnet staff will be monitoring this board, so it will be down to other members to help, and that means you will have to help us to help you.

Which router do you have for a start? and are you able to follow instructions/suggestions.

John
pnhawkes
Hooked

Hi I just looked underneath the technicolour TG582n box and wow is it hot is it supposed to be really hot it's on a solid flat surface hope this helps, but any jargon and I am stuffed
Cheers Peter
jab1
Legend

Right - you are on ADSL, so that is one question out of the way. The TG582n does get a bit warm, from my experience, but it shouldn't be over-hot - it is in an unobstructed position, because it needs a good airflow?

John
pnhawkes
Hooked

Hi yeah I have always been very wary that it needs to be able to get plenty of air flow so have it positioned on a table top in the cooler hallway I must admit my fingers still feel a bit stinging where it was so hot when I turned it over.
Cheers Peter
jab1
Legend

OK. Sounds like the TG582n has developed a fault. Unfortunately, PN staff will have left for the day, and no-one else has picked this up. I'll have a think and see if I can bring it to staff attention tomorrow.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @pnhawkes

Thanks for reaching out. I've run a couple of tests on your line today which aren't showing any definitive faults with the service, however cross talk has been detected. This often stems from populated cabinets across the network, though it's tricky to zero in on the direct impact it's having on your service, and the line looks pretty stable.

I've just processed a new and upgraded router (Plusnet Hub One) to be sent out to you though, which will arrive within 3-5 working days, all associated P&P fees have been waived.

See how you get on with the new router and let us know if you're still having problems.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
pnhawkes
Hooked

Hi today I received my new router and my son set it up for me and touch wood it is brilliant I now have all the internet and WiFi that I pay for.
So a really big thank you to you all your help has been really appreciated.
Cheers Peter.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @pnhawkes, thanks for getting back to us and it's great to hear your connection and wireless is looking back to normal for you.
If there's anything we can help you wit moving forwards then please don't hesitate getting back in touch.

pnhawkes
Hooked

Hi just wondering can I renew my contract with you without incurring any penalties from my current contract which expires in November.
Cheers Peter
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi Peter

Really glad to hear your router problem has been sorted. No need to worry about renewal for the moment. Plusnet will contact you before your contract expires in November and offer you a renewal price which will be more than you are paying now -- everything's going up isn't it? If you give them a ring they will usually give a good price so they keep their long-standing customers.

Best wishes -- Mike