Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hub One WIFI problems

Mr-Bee
Dabbler

Ditto!

I have the same problems and so does a friend of mine. These new routers were getting are useless more than 15 feet away! My friends has to be directly in line of sight within 10 feet. If not it drops off. Also there is no telling the companies as they seem to think there is no problem when clearly there is. I can't get a constant WiFi with my router directly 10 feet blow it. It ain't the computer.

17 REPLIES 17
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hiya. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your wireless signal.

Have you tried changing the WiFi channels and splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies apart?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mr-Bee
Dabbler

Yes they are both seperate also with both channels 1 & 48

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Mr-Bee,

In addition to the channel changes, have you also taken a look at our wireless troubleshooting guide HERE?

Mr-Bee
Dabbler

Can I just point out that I have experience in these matters. I normally set them up for other people. I kmow what I am saying when I say these routers that are being supplied are inferior. 

I am not your average user!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has split from another thread for visibility, to keep issues separate and to help staff

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

@Mr-Bee wrote:

Can I just point out that I have experience in these matters. I normally set them up for other people. I kmow what I am saying when I say these routers that are being supplied are inferior. 

I am not your average user!

Then why did you take the ‘Free’ router and not just supply your own?

Customer / Moderator
Mr-Bee
Dabbler

Because the ones I have are FIbre and not ADSL. I don’t want to purchase anymore as I have too many hanging around. But, that comment has nothing to do with the fact the routers being supplied are seriously inferior.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Mr-Bee,

The routers we supply for free are designed to provide a basic connection and generally their connection range is acceptable for most homes.

There are instances where coverage may not be as wide as desired and so it might be of interest to look towards obtaining a 3rd party booster or power line adapter.

Just out of interest, you mention you have your own 3rd party Fibre routers. Can I ask which router/s they are as most Fibre routers can also be configured to ADSL and we may be able to help you use one of your own alternatives.

It is ADSL routers that are usually not compatible with Fibre connections due to the transfer speed.

Mr-Bee
Dabbler

TP-Link Archer C50

TP-Link Archer C5

TP-Link W***** Cheapo!

I don't think a range of less than 10ft is anywhere acceptable for a routers WiFi. 

It's supposed to do at least 25 Feet direct minimum.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Mr-Bee

Looking at the spec for the C5 seems to confirm that it will work with our fibre connection.

You'd just need to identify where in the router settings (usually accessed by typing an IP address into an Internet browser) the authentication details are and then changing them to the Plusnet details here.

Best wishes

Dave

Mr-Bee
Dabbler

ADSL & Broadband cannot communicate together unless there is a modem in front of the router. The information being transported are different. 

It was the first thing I tried, on realising the Plusnet router was so bad!

dvorak

why not use the hub one as the modem / router and use one of the other ones as an access point.
Customer / Moderator
Mr-Bee
Dabbler

I suppose I could. I've done it before but it still does not get away from the problem that the output on these new routers are borderline useless.

dvorak

From your experiences, however I'm assuming for the average user it probably is ok - otherwise I think we'd be seeing a lot more complaints on these forums than we do.
I have used one and found it to be ok, not brilliant, for wifi and was usable on different floors and rooms away from where the router was situated.
Customer / Moderator