Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help setting up Hub One with multiple static IP Addresses

jenandstacey
Hooked

Re: Help setting up Hub One with multiple static IP Addresses

Hi

I have just upgrade to Fibre due to poor performance, I still have my 8 static IP address (router + 5) and a lovely new PlusNet Hub One... how the hell to I configure the Hub One to handle multiple static WAN IP address, I have three servers internally all externally facing... well they were until the new router was connected... HELP!

8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Fixed WAN IP Address?

@jenandstacey

I don't know if you can as the Hub One is a BT Home Hub 5 in disguise and only the business version of the HH5 can handle multiple WAN IP addresses. Here is how the Business HH5 is configured http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32933/~/how-do-i-assign-multiple-static-ip-ad...

So you can see for yourself if the Hub One has this feature

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
jenandstacey
Hooked

Re: Fixed WAN IP Address?

Great!...NOT

We have a Draytek 2830, not VDSL 😞

So it looks like I have been told duff info by PlusNet

Stacey

Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Help setting up Hub one with multiple staticIP Addresses

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Post moved to it's own thread and title changed for better visibility

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jenandstacey
Hooked

Ok, after a long conversation with Plusnet it turns out this isn't possible.

The Plusnet Hub one is a rebadged HH5 A, Plusnet don't have a B version and send out the A whether you are a residential or a business customer.

The reason for the confusion is that when I originally asked if the router would support multiple IPs they said yes after checking one of the ones they had access to, which was a HH5 B.  They just assumed that the features were the same.

Annoying but an understandable mistake I suppose.

So it's time to look for a new router I guess.  I can either buy the VDSL version of the Draytek (my preferred option but expensive), get a HH5 B off of eBay (a lot cheaper but they look a little low on features), or get a VDSL modem to plug into the Ethernet port on my current Draytek (not sure how hard it is to get a modem that supports multiple IPs).

At least I've a way forward I guess...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

(not sure how hard it is to get a modem that supports multiple IPs).

A modem is just that, a modem!. The router provides support for the multiple ip's . You can use your existing 2830 connected via it's wan port to the modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SpendLessTime
Hero

I would have said that the modem has no idea about the network level WAN IP addresses. It is just a device to modulate/demodulate the signal on the phone wires and the router is where the smarts are. So any VDSL2 modem would work with your Draytek router and the Draytek would do the heavy lifting.

jenandstacey
Hooked

SpendLessTime,

That was my first thought but after a bit of Googling it looks like the openreach modem (as used by earlier HHs and the PHZero) has issues with multiple IPs so I'd like to do a bit more research before I commit.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Wow, you live and learn. I found this which suggests it is able to handle multiple WAN IP's http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/21284-draytek-v130-k/

I would suggest the kitz website may be a good place to ask these more technical questions http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html