cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random buffering!!

joanb

Random buffering!!

Can anyone shed some light on an issue we're having.  As far as we can tell our current Broadband speed is 38.6mbs (according to Plusnet website).  Our (new) TV downstairs works well and we can happily stream TV/programmes etc from all of the iPlayers.

We have two older TV's upstairs that suffers really bad buffering 99% of the time.  We have just one router and all use the same Wi-Fi.  Because of our set-up at home the three TV's are pretty much the same distance from from the router/WI-Fi.  Just can't work out why one TV works really well the other two are unwatchable.  It's not like we are using all three TV's at the same time.  I'm reasonably tech savvy but just don't understand what is going on here.  Haven't reported anything to Plusnet just yet.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Random buffering!!

Signal strength is probably the cause of upstairs.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Had similar with a tv upstairs, i ended up adding a wi fi repeater to boost the coverage area upstairs.

I used one of these & set it up in to repeater mode: http://www.tp-link.com/lb/products/details/cat-12_TL-WA801ND.html

harrym1byt
Rising Star

The distance might be the same, but what matters with wifi is signal strength, reliability and hence data throughput. Walls and floors can make a big difference.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you have a smartphone then get a free app such as WiFi Analyser. You can then walk around your house and monitor the signal strength at each location. You may also find that you are swamped by a neighbour at one location that is fine at the router location. If this is the case then manually change the router channel.

At the end of the day for reliable streaming you will never beat an Ethernet cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

joanb wrote:  Haven't reported anything to Plusnet just yet. 

This is a wireless issue. It will be a waste of time reporting this to Plusnet as they are only contracted to supply broadband to your router. Wireless issues inside your property is outside of their responsibility.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i had a similar issues with a upstair TV with WIFI , the answer was to buy another Powerline adaptor  and leave the WiFi for Tablet and phones Thumbs_Up

so 2 TV connected to Router via Powelines Wink

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note:

Moved to appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still