Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Plusnet Hub One

FIXED
Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Questions about Plusnet Hub One

I'm considering renewing with Plusnet and they've offered me a Hub One. First of all, have some questions.

I currently have some devices which have been assigned a static IP in my 2704N Router expert mode settings. Is it possible to assign static IP's with the Hub One?

I'm considering having Sky Q installed. Will this router work with it? I've read in the Sky forums that Smart Setup might need to be disabled in the case of a BT Home Hub 5. Does the Hub One have this feature too and can it be disabled?

Finally, I see that some people split the Wifi networks, giving the 2.4GHz and 5GHz a separate SSID. I'm unfamiliar with this concept. If you have a wireless device in your home, do you need to set up two lots of network settings or do you have to decide which network the device will use. I'm thinking of Android devices but also things like my Panasonic Freeview recorder, Smart TV's etc. I'm not sure whether it's possible to have multiple network settings in some of my devices.

Annie
15 REPLIES 15
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Questions about Plusnet Hub One

Fix

Hi Annie.

The Hub One is basically a rebadged HH5A and reskinned with Plusnet logo/colour etc, and has no BT WiFi hotspot function.

Yes you can assign Static IP addresses for any equipment on your LAN if you so wish.
It's frequently recommended that you turn off Smart Setup anyway and it can be turned off if need be if it's causing an issue.
As for splitting the WiFi SSIDs, there really should be no need unless you are having an issue with any devices - usually Apple.  You don't normally need to do anything as far as the device network settings are concerned, the device will normally connect to whichever WiFi it finds best (depending on it's capability - eg. some devices don't have 5GHz).
More often than not, there may be an element of suck it and see, but you should be able to achieve a satisfactory setup especially if you are already doing so with the 2704n Shocked

Annie
Rising Star

Many thanks for the information.

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

My new Hub One has arrived today and is working splendidly. Could I ask for a little bit of technical help please?

I notice the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253. How do I set up a static IP for a device? I can see that I can choose 'Always use this IP address' in the device setting. However, if I set the IP address up on the actual device rather than in the router, what IP address should I use? Do I use one below 64 or keep within the range?

Also, I have a PC and two VOIP phones plugged into the ethernet ports on the router. The PC and one VOIP phone shows 100Mb/s above them but the other VOIP phone shows 10Mb/s. Is this something to do with the capabilities of the devices themselves. The 10Mb/s phone is the older of the two. I'm probably missing the point but 100Mb/s doesn't sound much for my PC - I thought these ports were GB ports.

Annie
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Annie

The speeds between the devices and the router are usually negotiated betweens themselves when the router first sees the device. Different devices can support different speeds and normally the speeds are correct. 

You would need to google the make and model of the VOIP phone to see what its speed is. Ditto for the make and model of the ethernet ports in your PC.

To find the ethernet card type in Windows 

1. Right Click the Start button, and then click Run.
  2. In the Run window, type msinfo32.exe in the Open: box, and then click OK.
  3. Under the System Summary menu on the left of the System Information window, click the plus sign (+) next to components.
  4. In the list of installed components, click to select Network.
  5. In the message Select a Subcategory, double-click to select Adapter.
  6. Look at the Name and/or Product Type fields

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Bob001 the DHCP range is what the router will use to issue dynamic IP addresses so you would be quite right in using ones below 64.

Annie
Rising Star

I've started with the Ethernet port. I have a Qualcomm Atheros ar8161 PCI-E gigabit ethernet controller (NDIS 6.20) running on Windows 7. I'm assuming it should have Gb speeds. Do I need to go into some other settings somewhere and enable this?

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks Browni

Annie
SpendLessTime
Hero

You can change the settings in Device Manager. 

Go to Start->Control Panel->Device Manager->Network adapters->Your adapters name , right-click then select Properties. On the Advance tab, find property Speed & Duplex which should be set to either Auto Negotiation or 100 Mbps Full Duplex. Select the option 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex and then Click OK.

You may need to reboot the PC.

If it doesn't work for some reason just return it to the setting it was before.

Annie
Rising Star

Thank you for the instructions SpendLessTime. For some reason, there is no 1.0Gb option available in the dropdown list. I checked to see if there was a driver update but apparently it's up-to-date although it's dated 2012. I had the PC built about 2 years ago - the motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2H Motherboard.

As for the VOIP phones, we have a Siemens Gigaset C475IP and N300A-IP. I've looked in the manual to try and ascertain the speed but all it says in the spec for each is:

Interfaces: Fixed Line Netwok, Ethernet

Interfaces: Analogue Fixed Line, Ethernet

Annie
SpendLessTime
Hero

Annie

An unoffical Qualcomm Atheros site at https://www.atheros-drivers.com/atheros-network-drivers.html

shows a Windows 7 driver version 2.1.0.21 dated 2013-08-09 and it is WHQL (Windows certified). So it should be able to be updated by Windows.

Also the website indicates that the AR8161 has the following speeds PCIe 10/100/1000Mbps, but I won't download it as I don't know who put that site up.

However I have found this on the Microsoft website read post 2 (marked Answer), it is about the type of cable for the PC to the router honest.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/atheros-ar8161-driver-missing-gi...

As for the VOIP phones, I won't worry as they only need 130Kbps or so to work so the 10Mbps is more than enough. My VOIP device Obi200 only has 10Mbps and has no issues

I had a look for the specification of the C475IP but no mention anywhere about interface speed.

Annie
Rising Star

Wow, wouldn't you know it. I was already usinga Cat.5e cable which came with an old router so I didn't hold out much hope. However, I decided to use the cable which came with the Hub One and I now have a 1Gb/s connection. It says cat.5e too but there must be some difference somewhere. It just goes to show how important it is to use everything which comes with the hardware.

Thanks so much for your help.

Annie
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Check that Cat5e cable with something else Annie, say between a computer and the Hub One. It may have gone faulty or may not be a standard cable - which "old" router did it come with?

Also just to note regarding fixed IP addresses. You should be able to allocate them where you wish with the Hub One, providing it isn't 192.168.1.254 of course! They can be within the DHCP range, with most routers that's fine. There are some routers that won't allow you to allocate one outside of the DHCP range - the 2704n was one such modem/router (certainly in ADSL mode).

Annie
Rising Star

I'll have a go at connecting my laptop with the cable tomorrow. I can't remember which router it came with. I only recently had the 2704N and the TG582N before that. Previous to this I didn't have fibre but I couldn't say whether or not the cable dates from my ADSL days.

Thanks for the info on the fixed IPs.

Annie
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Ethernet cable that came with my 582n only has 4 contacts in its plugs, so it will only do 100Mb, the cable itself is marked CAT.5e. All 8 contacts need to be wired up for gigabit.