cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for BT Hub 6 Owners

onlyme4
Dabbler

Question for BT Hub 6 Owners

I'm thinking of buying a BT Home hub 6 (smart hub), but the reviews on the BT forums and Amazon, etc, of the hub 6 are terrible ! Main problems seem to be wireless dropping out and hub resetting issues. 

If anyone has one of these and could provide some unbiased feedback on whether they are reliable or not I'd be grateful. Are there 'type A' and 'type B' versions ? I know the hub 5 used to come in an 'A' and 'B' version with the type 'B' being far more reliable - at least is it for me !

I currently have a BT home hub 5 (B) which is working perfectly, but I want to improve the wifi without using a wifi extender. Judging by the Hub 6's that are near to me (neighbors etc) the wifi signal seems to be very strong and impressive.

14 REPLIES 14
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Question for BT Hub 6 Owners

I use the BT Smart Hub 6 Type A for FTTC on Laptop and TV wireless 

Type A is for FTTC and ADSL and has  four  Yellow Gigabit ports at the rear

there is apparently another Type for  FTTP which has with four Yellow Gigabit ports  with a red sticker on 1  at the rear, but I have not seen one of these on the web for sale.

BT Smart Hub6 seems to sell for around £43 Brand New off ebay

The Hub does reset itself about every two weeks, I think this is normal, however other than that no problems. I have not noticed any wireless drop outs.

for set up see my post 41 here

as you have BT Hub 5 you probably wont need my instructions below on how to set it up.

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/page/3/thread-id/306720

jimtrim49

I can verify that there is a Home Hub 6 type b because BT just sent me one. It has been running now for 2 hours without dropping internet connection which is an improvement on the type a

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I bought a Smart Hub 6A off Ebay a few weeks ago. It updated its firmware when I first connected it and then again 2 days later. Since then it has been rock solid.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ojobson

Your TYpe B router - is that for ADSL, FTTC or FTTP? Some people say Type B is only for FTTP so I wonder if you could confirm that.
Baldrick1

This might be of interest: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/td-p/1504366

If you read all the posts you will learn that the Type B is configured for FTTP in that one of the LAN ports has been converted, presumably through firmware, as a WAN port, leaving 3 LAN ports. It has been reported that the modem still works so they also work on FTTC without needing a separate modem. However, a word of caution, BT    can and do occasionally update the firmware remotely so it's in their power to close of this facility should they wish on the basis that it's not the designed function.

I would stick with a FTTC model 6A. Note that the FTTC Business Smarthub works equally well and also gives you more settings options such as choice of DNS server.

I believe that the negative Amazon reviews are historical and relates to older firmware. I have had no problems with mine at all in 7 months use.

Moderator and Customer

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ditto. rock solid business variant - other than resets in the night every couple of weeks. WiFi coverage much better than PN hub and I haven't noticed dropouts. wife and kids would soon let me know as between them they are constantly steaming something! 

ojobson

Openreach are installing my FTTH tomorrow morning... have just taken delivery of my Type A smart hub WITH a red WAN symbol over LAN port 4.
So ... I’m confused. Looks like ther May be a new model out as my BT item code is 084318.

In the thread linked to above it says the type a hub for FTTC is 084316
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Not sure about the significance of the Type A or B hubs but for FTTP/FTTH you need the Red WAN port to connect to the Fibre ONT so you should be OK.Smiley

Baldrick1

The FTTC Model is 084316 not the FTTH/FTTP version that you need. Are you sure it is a Type A? There is a label on the side of the box of mine giving the MAC Number, Serial Number starting with the Model Mumber followed by /NQxxxxxx and underneath it says (Type A).

Moderator and Customer

ojobson

Positive it is Type A - as you say, it says Type A behind the plastic slide out SSID / credential card, along with with the serial number etc. I noticed it straight away as everything I have read says that I would receive a Type B for FTTP.

It has a red WAN symbol over the RJ45 LAN 4 socket, as well as a grey ADSL RJ11 socket on the left.

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@ojobson - as the others have said, you have the red WAN symbol over the RJ45 LAN 4 socket and that is the most important thing. You should be good to go.

I've got the HH6 Business Edition for my FTTC and it's really good.

Baldrick1

@ojobson

If it's got your required WAN connector it's obviously the model you need but I'm still confused. BT or its suppliers obviously work in mysterious ways its wonders to perform!

Moderator and Customer

ojobson

Thanks all. Fibre installed and working brilliantly, even if there was a two and a half hour delay whilst they waited for someone to bring a new reel of fibre from Swindon... anyway, so it appears as though there are two types of router - type A for adsl and ftth, and type b for FTTC. However, I think there are two different model numbers for the type A as they come with different accessories, user guide and box depending on the service being installed.
Baldrick1

Nope, the Type A also works on VDSL FTTC. I guess that it comes down to Model numbers rather than types.

Moderator and Customer