cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QNAP Connect using NO-IP and port forwarding plusnet hub one

Jimrward

QNAP Connect using NO-IP and port forwarding plusnet hub one

Using plusnet hub one and trying to setup port forwarding to my qnap NAS ts-453 to allow friends and family to sign in and access pics

I have created a domain and sign on details with NO-IP and also a username/password on the NAS for each user

I need a simplified set of setup instructions for port forwarding and configuration on the router what I have tried so far just sits there thinking within a browser and eventually times out

the connection to NO-IP appears to work with no errors it’s the port forwarding that fails

the internal IP of the NAS is 192.168.1.92

i achieved this last year with the older style hub but all efforts with hub one fails

any simple help appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
Jimrward

Re: QNAP Connect using NO-IP and port forwarding plusnet hub one

Update

Yay think I have solved it with a bit of trial and error

enabled static IP for my connection via plusnet portal £5 thereby disposing of NO-IP dynamic dns setting disabled in router setup

Had to pull my firewall pants down and allow all traffic
Enable the ports required as TCP 8080,8081,443, 20-21,80 all TCP
Do a rescan on the QNAP NAS so it was happy and ticked all it’s boxes
Pull the firewall pants back up

Jimrward

plus port forwarding to my qnap IP address

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Jimrward 

Personally I think the one off charge for a static IP address with Plusnet is well worth the cost. 

Lots of things are much easier with a static IP address.

Did you consider the QNAP remote access service ?

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/accessing-your-qnap-device-with-myqnapcloud-service/

I would prefer that to port forwarding to a NAS.

I am the satisfied customer....
Jimrward

@markhawkin 

Yes I was using myqnapcloud however when connecting remotely the time lag for viewing and rendering jpegs was 5-10 seconds per file as it was an extra hop via qnap cloud

it was useful when abroad to upload Sony camera pics to iPad and then selectively further upload to qnap back home that seemed to work without much if any lag

when sharing the pics out to friends and relatives general consensus was too slow

last year it was fine with old style PN router was able to set things up with NO-IP and port forwarding I upgraded to Fibre in May and the new router when trying to set it up this year proved troublesome to the point I even ordered another router

just by tinkering around found that by temporarily allowing all traffic until the qnap ticked all boxes then back to default blocking allowed the qnap to be happy

access now is instant