Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with my Vigor 130 / Edgerouter-X connection

abitodd
Hooked

Problems with my Vigor 130 / Edgerouter-X connection

Hi all,

I had a Vigor 130/ERX setup for the past year now and its ben amazingf however the past couple of days my connection has been very slow and my QOS service seems to have failed. Normally I get 25-30mbps dl speed but recently its been hovering around 9/10. Also the QOS service has not functioned well either.

I noticed this while gaming as when working well my game data was given priority and no matter what else was happening I'd get stable low ping which was awesome but lately the second someone fires up Netflix or, anything really my ping would rocket. 

I tried to login to my router but it wouldn't let me so I went ahead and did a factory reset. I've not been able to get a net connection since. Its saying pppoe is disconnected on the connections list. I've gon though the wizard several times but to no avail. Thats with the computer plugged into eth0 and then to eth1 in the belief I had entered the correct settings. 

I've tried again, I managed to reset the ERX, upload the latest firmware and then configured the eth0 ppoe setting. I then plugged the pc into eth1 and the vigor 130 to eth0 but nothing. I can't get the pppoe connection going despite resetting and going through the basic setup 8 or 9 times now.

Capture.PNG

I've logged into my Vigor 130 to see what is going on in there and have found the following.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG

10 REPLIES 10
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Problems with my Vigor 130 / Edgerouter-X connection

Hi @abitodd,

If you click the options for PPPoE settings (I believe this is in the list on the left hand side judging from this site: http://eu.draytek.com:10130/) have you re-entered your broadband authentication details?

The username should be your username@plusdsl.net and the password would be the password you use to log in to the member centre.

Other connection settings can be found here: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/#what-settings-should-i-use-for-fi...

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
abitodd
Hooked

Hi Harry, I tried that but my router has fewer options that those displayed on that site and certainly no where to input my isp login.Capture4.PNG

When first using this modem it really was plug and play but not this time around. IS this looking more like an issue with the modem rather than the router do you think?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @abitodd

It's certainly not ideal that you don't have the option to change the PPEOE details - I'd perhaps seek advice directly from the router/modem manufacturer or from the wider community as other members may have the same device setup and be able to help further.

Best wishes

Dave

abitodd
Hooked

Yes I agree, the last year though its not mattered, it just worked in bridge mode with the router managing the pppoe settings.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It doesn't sound like the 130 is in bridge mode.

I'm not familiar with It but I would guess there's a configuration option somewhere to switch between router and bridge mode

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

abitodd
Hooked

Is bridge mode the type that puts the connection kinda straight through to the router?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, it's called bridge or modem mode

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

abitodd
Hooked

I'll plug back in and try.

Can anyone speculate whether this looks like a modem or router issue? I did order a replacement ERX thinking it was that but I'll cancel it if there's doubt.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Here's the draytek 130 setup for bridge mode https://www.draytek.com/en/faq/faq-connectivity/connectivity.wan/how-to-use-pppoe-pass-through-and-b...

Then setup for PPPoE on your edgerouter

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I suggest that before you get too far into setting up bridge mode, that you upgrade the Vigor 130 firmware to the current stable version 3.8.3 (BT firmware), from here -

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

Until recently I had my Vigor 130 (3.8.3_BT firmware) in bridge mode into a pfSense router, providing four WAN IP addresses (/30) to my home network.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm testing some development firmware for Billion tech support using an 8800NL router in bridge mode, so I can't check my Vigor 130 bridge settings right now.  However if you get stuck I could probably have a look to see what I configured in the coming days.

Here are the official DrayTek UK bridging instructions for the Vigor 130 connecting to Openreach FTTC -

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-130-bridge

Wink