cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting Synology Diskstation/Port Forwarding?

richellis

Problems connecting Synology Diskstation/Port Forwarding?

Hi all,

I'm a new customer to Plus Net having moved from Talk Talk. I had my Synology Diskstation 214 set up lovely on TT but having moved to Plus Net, had to reset up all the networking stuff on the Diskstation.

By and large, I've bumbled my way through it but having problems with the setup of the 'Port Forwarding'. I'd say I'm relatively competent at PC stuff in general but networking not so much so looking for some advice. I can see from a Google search a few others have had similar issues but not found a solution that works for me so asking for some advice.

Attached are some screenshots of the steps I'm taking in the Synology system. I've reset the DNS address which was different and then run the automatic setup tool. It seems to get stuck on the network environment step. I then proceed to the next step and say automatically set up port forwarding but this always fails. I went into the router itself and attempted to manually set up these rules but not convinced I'm doing it right. Can anyone give some advice what to try next?

Thanks in advance! 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
richellis

Re: Problems connecting Synology Diskstation/Port Forwarding?

Here's my current port forwarding set up - any guidance would be most appreciated as to whether this is correct or not? I'm somewhat guessing!

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@richellis

I've two Synology NAS units (a 215 and 216) but personally if I wished to have remote access I wouldn't go about it by port forwarding.

I'm not entirely comfortable about any approach other than via a router that supports a VPN but

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Network/How_to_make_Synology_NAS_accessibl...

offers two approaches.

Will the "QuickConnect" not do what you want ?

I am the satisfied customer....
richellis

Hi @markhawkin. Thanks for getting back to me.

i tried the QuickConnect method but one of the steps in that process automatically configures the port forwarding in the router for you, which is what my original problem was about.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@richellis

I assume you have also ticked the box which allows the "Relay Service".

There are a few things to try at:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Network/Why_can_t_I_connect_to_my_Syno...

I am the satisfied customer....