Did you mean: 

Problem with ipad and iphone disconnecting Facetime

FIXED
jasu
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Problem with ipad and iphone disconnecting Facetime

Hi,

I have a PlusNet Hub One and  35mbps fibre broadband.   The connection works well for our Windows and Android devices but not for our ipad and iphone most noticably when using Facetime.  We keep getting a message like poor connection and then it disconnects.   It happens when Facetiming different people so I'm sure the problem is at our end.

If there is a fix I can try it or should I upgrade or change the Hub One?    Would welcome any suggestions as to what I should do/get.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Problem with ipad and iphone disconnecting Facetime

Fix

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jasu
Dabbler

Hi Dvorak and thank you for replying so quickly.

I will try as you suggest but I also have one or two spots in the house where the connection speed slows down.   If I bought something like an Asus router to hopefully improve signal strength would that replace the HubOne or would I link it to it?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That would depend on exactly what you buy.  We colloquially call these boxes routers, but they might be more or less than just a router...

• A xDSL "router" is in fact a modem / router and would replace the Plusnet Hub One
  • A cable "router" is just that and you would just connect that to the Plusnet Hub One ... and your would need to sort out the complications of how DHCP is managed - Plusnet Hub One alone, the new router alone or a combination of both
  • A WiFi Access Point (AP) - these "connect" to the Plusnet Hub One and come in three "flavours"
    • Ethernet connected - by one means or another you need to get an ethernet cable from the router's location to where you want the AP
    • Ethernet over Power (dLan) connected, for example Devolo kit, which is the most flexible, but some cheap versions of this technology can interfere with VDSL services
    • WiFi range extenders, which utilise the existing WiFi signal to connect to the router and then "re-broadcasts" the wifi signal wherever you place it - the down sides of this are
      1. The capacity of the existing WiFi is used to relay the data passing through the extender thereby "degrading" the existing network performance
      2. The WiFi extender has to receive a decent WiFi signal from the router, so if needs to be placed nearer to the router than the wifi not spot
      3. If it uses the same SSID as the router, you might find devices flip-flopping between "stations" and this see little in the way of improvement

Unless you are sure you know what you are doing, then get either...

1. Good quality Ethernet over power adapters and hope for no VDSL interference
  2. Get a xDSL / router with super range WiFi ... which comes with a stiff price tag

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jasu
Dabbler

Hi townman,

Thank you for your advice.

Is the ASUS RT-AX55 an xDSL router as you describe and suggest for replacing the Hub One?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I did a Google search.

I found this - RT-AX55|WiFi 6|ASUS United Kingdom.

The specification makes no reference to modem functionality.

The WAN connection specification refers to "Internet connection Type : PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, Automatic IP, Static IP" implying an ethernet connection to something ... 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jasu
Dabbler

Good morning Townman and thank you for your comments.    My aim is to replace the HubOne in order  to improve signal strength and avoid the apple device poor connection issue.   I have corrected the apple issue from the earlier advice but I still want to improve the signal strength without installing mesh.

How about a TP-Link Archer VR400 V3 AC1200.    Available from Screwfix!!

Or a BT SmartHub or SmartHub 2 on ebay.

Thank you

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That device is described as a modem / router so it will replace the Plusnet Hub One.

You do though need to do your own research to determine if it will suit your needs, just plug the router description into your favourite search engine.  See the mixed bag of reviews here - TP-Link AC1200 Archer VR400 | ProductReview.com.au and TP-Link ARCHER VR400 AC1200 Wireless VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Reviews - Compare Prices and Deals - Ree...

"My main reason for purchasing this was to improve the wireless signal over the stock unit provided by TalkTalk. I have to say that there doesn't appear to be a huge amount of difference. It is, perhaps, a bit more stable, but the signal really doesn't seem to be a hugre amount better"

Sometimes no router is going to cover all not-spots of a property, its a characteristic of the property, not the WiFi AP.

The BTHH6 and SmartHub 2 are reportedly better than the Plusnet Hub One ... but one has to ask where did they come from?

jasu
Dabbler

Hi Townman, thank you for taking time to respond to my questions and for your suggestions.

I'm going to consider either a SmartHub to replace the HubOne or get a dLan Powerline adaptor but from first looks they can be expensive.

Out of interest can you share with us your router/modem set up?

Cheers

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

At the top of this board, there is a long article on setting up BT HH6 for use with Plusnet.

The essential step in setting up any third party modem / router is configuring your user account in the internet settings.

Be wary of Smart Hub 2 - these are only LENT by BT to their customers.  I have no experience of using these on non-BT Retail ISP services, it is possible that the routers are locked to BT Retail use.  Remember that all BT routers "phone home", so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that SH2 could shut down if being used "off network", but I have no evidence of such, just the  awareness that BT Retail do require the return of SH2 at the end of the user's contract ... which is why I noted before "one needs to ask where do these routers come from?".