cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Plusnet Router

Sezzy

Problem with Plusnet Router

Hi All, I am currently having problems with the service I receive from Plusnet both internet and billing.  I have Fibre extra unlimited and we find that the signal keeps on dropping on our devices.  I have gone through all the rigmarole with an IT person from Plusnet re the settings and the layout of my house and how the signal can drop etc etc.  However, I was advised that my current Plusnet Hub router is out of warranty and if I purchased a new one it would probably solve the problem.  Or if I were to renew my line rental at the end of this month then I would be given a new one.  Given the on going problem that I've had since Sept re the billing, I am not sure that I will renew with Plusnet. 

My question is, what sort of router is good for FTTC (the cabinet is 50 metres from my house) as I am not sure if there are better options out there to what Plusnet would provide me with.  

Many thanks for your help 🙂 

10 REPLIES 10
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Problem with Plusnet Router

Welcome to the forums @Sezzy 

I'm guessing the signal dropping is wifi only?

I also assume Plusnet gave you the instructions to split the wifi etc (possibly renaming the 5GHz SSID too)?

Can you please post up the router software version and the date it was installed?

(click this http://192.168.1.254 and scroll to the bottom of the page)

My gut feeling is your software could well end in 263.....

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dws1900
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Sezzy 

You could get a mesh wifi system, turn off the plusnet wifi and let the mesh wifi take over your wireless connections.

This hopefully will improve the coverage in the property.

Read up on reviews, don't just go by the recommendations of purchasers on a well known internet store Smiley

Some mesh systems have built in routers, these can cause problems, some require you to set up accounts with them, if you trust them, fine.

Mine cost me 179 quid from a high street store, consists of three units, and works well in a modern four bedroom house in a quite congested wifi area.

50 metres, I wish Sad

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Sezzy, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry for the issues that you are having with your WiFi, as @DS has mentioned can you advise if you have tried splitting the wireless frequencies? I have provided a guide on your account here on how to do this. Let us know how this goes.

Checking your connection there are drops occurring at the same time each day, is there anything you have that could coincide with this (ie your heating being switched on)?

http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image15569005879310.png

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Sezzy 

Assuming that your problem is wireless then be aware that Plusnet are currently having problems with Hub One  router wireless dropping.

One way to fix this is to go onto EBay and spend about £20 on a BT Smarthub 6. You need the FTTC model which has four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP model. This has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sezzy

Hi,

Yes it is the wifi signal that is dropping and yes we have gone through the renaming of the 5GHz SSID.  The router is a Sagecom Plusnet Hub one and the software does indeed end in .263  I don't know when it was installed though but the last update was 21/03/19.

Thanks

Sezzy

Thanks for the idea, I will keep that in mind whilst trying to resolve the problem 🙂

Sezzy

Hi Lauren, Thank you for the message.  I have gone through the splitting etc as mentioned in your comment.  I notice from others that plusnet are having problems with their Hubone.  Are you able to tell me how they are fixing this?  I have been a very loyal customer to Plusnet for a lot of years, but I am so cheesed off at the moment I will not be renewing at the end of this month if it is not resolved.  Kind regards 

Sezzy

Hi, Thank you for the info re the problems with the Hub One router wireless dropping, good to know that we are not the only ones.  I will definitely look into the BT Smarthub6.  Cheers

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

You could turn off the 5GHz on the hub one as a temporary workaround

http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

Ignore the warning messages, it's normal. This will put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it, then see if the devices maintain a wifi connection - but only on your 2.4GHz SSID.