cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PlusNet TG582N router after switching mains off

KitKite
Grafter

Problem with PlusNet TG582N router after switching mains off

My Plusnet TG582N router is showing an orange power LED. About every few minutes it switches to Green for a few second and then back to orange.
This happened after I had to change a light socket. I turned off the mains, changed the light socket and then switched the mains back on. Now the routers power led is orange. Tried reset but doesn't reset. Any ideas anyone?
11 REPLIES 11
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Problem with PlusNet TG582N router after switching mains off

Sounds like the router is having difficulty synching up.  What does the log report - see http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/events/?be=0&l0=1&l1=2

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

A quick google search reveals that an Orange power light, suggests the TG582n is trying to update its firmware.  

While the power light is Orange, I presume there is no internet access ?

Given the age of the router, there is a chance turning the mains power off and on perhaps led to a spike in the mains, and it has corrupted the router. 

Are you able to access the router at http://192.168.1.254 as suggested by Towman?  

Sounds like you need a new router.  

Plusnet can provide a replacement router free of charge (except for P&P) if you are prepared to recontract.  Alternatively, you can buy your own router but Plusnet won't be able to help if you still have problems and it is not a Plusnet model.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
KitKite
Grafter

Q. While the power light is Orange, I presume there is no internet access ?
A. There is no internet at all.

Q. Are you able to access the router at http://192.168.1.254 as suggested by Towman?
A. No. I only use with tablets and WiFi. I have nothing connected via ports therefore cannot access the router for logs etc. The WiFi does not come on.

Is there anyway the broadband line can be tested to see what's happening at PlusNets end? Or my end. Is it possible to query the router state/condition?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If the wifi is not coming on then there is a strong possibility that the router is goosed.  The wifi should come up irrespective of the ability to connect to the internet.

Have you done a factory reset?  Note that you have to press the button in and hold it for a while.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KitKite
Grafter

Tried factory reset. Nothing happens. The orange power led doesn't respond in anyway.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK dug a bit deeper for you - see page 10 here - http://help.demon.net/files/2013/03/TG582n-User-Guide.pdf

Looks like the router is failing to boot, which makes more sense than the suggestion that it is doing an update ... for there have been none of recent years!

Seems like it is dead.  You can buy a decent router for not too much from the well know PC stores and most big high street super markets.  Or you could re-contract with Plusnet and get a new one for the price of P&P.

KitKite
Grafter

Thanks for your help.
My power light is Solid orange therefore is bootloader selftest.
When obtaining a router from Plusnet doesn't it contain a custom setup for PN?
If I buy elsewhere whats a good budget router that's a better one to Plusnet TG582n?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If you want a reasonable budget one ( and can stand it's appearance!) then try this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882

It will work fine on PN, is also Fibre compatible, and the quick setup is pretty painless.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If Plusnet send you a new router, the serial number of the router will be associated with your Plusnet account details, and so your username and password will automatically download to the router when the router first connects successfully to Plusnet services.

If you were to purchase a second hand Plusnet router from eBay, such as a Hub One (Rebadged BT Home Hub 5A, works on ADSL and fibre), it will contain details of the former Plusnet customer, but you can replace those details by manually entering your own Plusnet username and password into the router.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed you can place your own account details in a 2nd hand router as you describe.  HOWEVER if the original owner has not had the serial number de-listed then, in the event of a factory reset, there is every chance that the router will auto configure with the original owner's account details - possibly giving both you and they operational problems.

If you do acquire a 2nd hand PN router - ask PN to associate the serial number with your account.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@KitKite I'm not sure how tech savvy you are BUT if the TG582n is getting as far as the boot loader ( which it sounds like it is ) then you MAY be able to reload the firmware using TFTP .

Some instructions here http://thomsontech.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/5/9/16595784/using_tftp_to_load_firmware.pdf and here https://support.aa.net.uk/Router_-_TG582N_-_Firmware_and_Factory_Reset

and you can get the firmwares here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/