cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting with BT Business Smart Hub 6

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

Problem connecting with BT Business Smart Hub 6

So, with the WiFi dropping from the Plusnet Hub One and after reading advice here, I purchased a new BT Business Hub 6 on eBay.

With the instructions from Baldrick1 https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673 I thought this would be plain sailing.

However, I still cannot get connected. I have tried on many occasions, after doing things like having the DSL connected too early in the process and having a password that contained special characters. Incidentally, the forgot password link insists on a special character, so had to add one, then once the password was changed and was able to log into my account had to change it again! 

To confirm my broadband username entered ends '@plusdsl.net`, the password I'm using is the one I can log into my account and now does not contain special characters (and is 16 characters long).

I've had a look around the forum at other posts, without success. If anyone's got any bright ideas, then I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

26 REPLIES 26
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Problem connecting with BT Business Smart Hub 6

@Ph1lJD  Welcome to the forum.

Is your log in credentials reverting to the BT default ones? If so it's generally because you plugged the DSL line in too early.

Try this:

1. Log in to the Advanced/Broadband page, unless it already does click Disconnect. Wait for it to say Disconnected,

2. Remove the DSL lead.

3. Input your Plusnet credentials.

4. Click Save if you have the option, elso go to the next step anyway.

5. Go back to the Advanced/Broadband page and click Connect. ONLY WHEN you get the green Connecting message plug in the DSL lead.

Let us know how you get on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 Thanks for the reply!

No, my login credentials are being remembered. Once I realised that I'd plugged in too early, I did a factory reset and followed the instructions in the original post.

I will try again, paying particular attention to step 5, as i'm not sure I've ever seen a "green Connecting message", and report back.

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 When I click the "Connect" button, I get a pink Connecting message, which disappears after 10 seconds, and I remain disconnected - whether I connect the DSL or not.

Is this the right "Connect" button. Does it matter that it's pink and not green?

Anything else to try? Have I managed to buy myself a dodgy hub?

Baldrick1

@Ph1lJD 

No that's probably my error and it turns green after you plug the DSL cable and it synchronises wih the FTTC cabinet. Sorry!

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Ph1lJD 

Sorry I hadn't registered the first part of your post. My understanding is that as soon as you select connect it turns pink an says it's connecting then even though you immediately plug the DSL cable in it still resets after 10 seconds?

Have you tried using the DSL cable that came with your Plusnet Hub so know works?

The only other thing that I can suggest is that you take a screenshot of your Advanced/Broadband page, obscure your user name for security and post it here so that we can see if there's anything obvious.

Moderator and Customer

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 wrote:

My understanding is that as soon as you select connect it turns pink an says it's connecting then even though you immediately plug the DSL cable in it still resets after 10 seconds?

Yes, that is correct. When I don't connect the cable it resets in about 7 seconds.

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Have you tried using the DSL cable that came with your Plusnet Hub so know works?

I'm using all the same cables that are successfully connecting when attached to the Plusnet Hub.

@Baldrick1 wrote:

The only other thing that I can suggest is that you take a screenshot of your Advanced/Broadband page, obscure your user name for security and post it here so that we can see if there's anything obvious.

See attached.

Baldrick1

@Ph1lJD 

This has me flumoxed! It's as though it's not making any attempt to connect to the FTTC cabinet.

I don't think it will make any difference but do you have Smart Setup disabled as per the instructions? It's moved to the Status page these days.

Just for the hell of it have you tried a differen DSL cable?

Moderator and Customer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you tried a shorter password?

I know one of the restrictions on the earlier BT hubs was user name/password length - although if it works on the Hub1 it should be ok. 

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

Yes Smart Setup has been disabled and yeah, took me a while to find it.

I have tried set up with all the provided cables. As you'd expect it still doesn't work.

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

Hi @Mustrum , no I've not tried a password shorter than 16 characters. I'll give that a go next time I give it a try.

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

I have just found in the guide there a bunch of post-it notes with notes and BT references in. I'm seriously wondering if the person that sold it to me had their own technical issues, and has then tried to pass this off as "new" using unwrapped cables from a replacement from BT?

The ADSL filter is not like one I've seen before and I would definitely say that it's not "new".

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

Tried a shorter password without luck.

Baldrick1

@Ph1lJD wrote:

I have just found in the guide there a bunch of post-it notes with notes and BT references in. I'm seriously wondering if the person that sold it to me had their own technical issues, and has then tried to pass this off as "new" using unwrapped cables from a replacement from BT?

The ADSL filter is not like one I've seen before and I would definitely say that it's not "new".

For about 18 months now BT have charged unless you return a Smarthub that they now supply without charge. Consequently you are unlikely to find a ‘new’ one. If you can find an unused and unopened one the box will be sealed in a transparent plastic wrapping.

I guess that if you consider unused as meaning new then a hub that was originally tried, found to be dead on arrival and replaced by BT can be described as new.

Moderator and Customer

Ph1lJD
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 @Mustrum Thanks for your help on this.

Been in touch with the seller. They say they bought a load of stuff in and office clearance and assumed new, didn't actually look at it. Either way, I've got a refund.

Before I go buy another (and hopefully have more luck), do you know if you can "Disable SIP ALG" on the BT Hub?

I found this https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/categories/guide/a_id/34573/view/43978/c/5415#:~:text=Click%20'F...'
but refers to the Hub 5. Do you know if it's in the same place? (Router is back in its box at the moment).