cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to get old bt openshare modem replaced?

gracesmith1963

Possible to get old bt openshare modem replaced?

Hiya. I've just switched to plusnet from BT in which I had an old modem from BT openshare along side my own router.

I unplugged the modem and both sockets decided they wanted to spark/smoke/melt catch on fire.

Ive replaced the router with a new one and the modem is working with a temperamental power cord.

Is it possible to get to get a new modem power cord replaced? I spoke to someone on the phone who said plusnet now supply a combined modem/router combo. However, I want to use my own router as I wanted wifi 6.

Can I use a plusnet router as a modem only and get rid of the old BT openshare modem or get it swapped out by bt openshare? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Possible to get old bt openshare modem replaced?

@gracesmith1963 

Can I use a plusnet router as a modem only or get it swapped out by bt openshare?

I'm afraid not, it doesnt support modem only mode

or get it swapped out by bt openshare?

BT Openreach haven't supported the modem for a few years now, so its not possible to get it swapped out.

One option would be to get a 2nd hand BT modem from ebay, there's plenty available.

Or get a new modem or a modem/router that supports modem only(bridge) mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @gracesmith1963 

Openreach no longer supply modems.

However, if it just the power supply that is the problem - then that is replaceable by a generic power supply.

The voltage + current rating need to match the Openreach power supply, along with the mating connector to the modem.

Which modem do you have the Huawei HG612 or the ECI unit?

A power supply for the HG612 is available at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-BT-Openreach-EchoLife-HG612-Fibre-optic-Modem-120-240v-power-supply-c...

You can buy an ECI modem + power supply for £13:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Modem-FTTC-VDSL-ECI-B-FOCuS-ABR401/174586068861?hash=item28a...

The HG612 is often preferred as better supports a mode called G.INP, so they are more expensive to buy.

G.INP allows some broadband lines to connect faster.

Whichever modem you already have, you should be OK to stick to that type.

Regards

Richard

gracesmith1963

Thanks for the links. I cant believe swapping supplier to save money has cost me a new router + £11 plug lol. Ahh well

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

If you have had the Plusnet router offering for fibre, you will have the Hub1 which will work without an additional modem. If you had  a BT hub6 that will also work without a modem. Full set up instructions are on this forum. 

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still