cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible faulty router

nos911
Dabbler

Possible faulty router

Is there anyway to get a replacement router from Plusnet as it appears mine is faulty, I am getting excruciatingly low WiFi speeds and coverage with huge ping, yesterday it was down to 0.3mbps download with 1.4 second ping while in the same room as the router(no difference between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz).
Customer service on the phone refused to send out a replacement and just want me to continually monitor and change wireless channels(changing channels never improves it).
The service is getting to be unusable via wireless and wired isn't an option when using a tablet or phone.
23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Possible faulty router

@nos911 Are you on ADSL or FTTC? Either way, that doesn't sound like a hardware fault, more likely to be network, so we need a little more information.

Just checked - you're on FTTC so other than you asking PN to run the usual network checks, there is little other users can do to help.

One thing YOU can do though is check your phone line quality - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably wired) handset - the line should be silent except for the automated 'Quiet Line Test' message. Any noise other than that - report a PHONE fault.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@nos911 

Is it wireless only, have you checked with a computer connected via Ethernet?

Have you tried separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840?

If you want better WiFi for little money then get a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site, they are currently selling for peanuts. Follow links here for settings https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

nos911
Dabbler

Its mainly wireless, Ethernet connections are better but not consistent and nowhere near what I had previously with plusnet, I have been running the BT wholesale tests with additional diagnostics via ethernet for a while and despite the tests showing issues(high ping, low download speeds) customer service are not interested and brush it off as wireless interference.
I have tested my phone line and its fine, the issue is starting to mirror one I had with Vodafone a few years ago at a different property, that ended up being a heavily congested line that deteriorated to getting no more than 0.2mbps all day on a 38mbps line(right now via ethernet on my Xbox one I'm getting a whopping 0.76mbps on a 74mbps line).
Previously with TalkTalk i got a constant 60+mbps all day from both wireless and wired.
jab1
Legend

OK. I'm not an FTTC expert, but sight of your Help Desk tab on the router  may give us a clue - just make sure you remove any 'unique' identification before you post the screenshot.

As @Baldrick1 said above, it is agood idea to split the 2.4 and 5ghz channels as well.

John
nos911
Dabbler

Forst thing I did on setting the router up was split the bands. The router stats show the following(I've removed the unnecessary information).

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ04402139
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 10 days, 14:45:59
6. Data rate: 20000 / 73431
7. Maximum data rate: 21919 / 74528
8. Noise margin: 6.4 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation: 9.4 / 9.6
10. Signal attenuation: 9.3 / 9.7
jab1
Legend

From that information, @nos911 , there is nothing wrong with the connection between your router and the network, in fact you have a very good connection, so Plusnet cannot do anything, as their responsibility is merely to supply the connection as far as your Master socket - anything beyond that is your responsibility.

Can you please run this test: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , make sure you run the Additional test, and upload the result as a screenshot.

John
nos911
Dabbler

I disagree @jab1 Plusnet have a responsibility to ensure the equipment they supply is capable of providing the service they advertise, the router simply isn't as getting throughout of below 1mbps on both wired and wireless devices is appalling.
My connection does look fine I won't deny that but the throughput is abysmal and can only be down to either high congestion or a router that isn't capable of outputting decent speeds.
If my property/devices where the issue then I wouldn't have had 24 months of consistent service and speeds from talktalk.
jab1
Legend

With the greatest of respect, @nos911 , Plusnets responsibility ends at the master socket, if you read the terms and conditions, which in that respect are the same as any ISPs. You do not have to use their router - @Baldrick1 has already suggested you replace the H1 with a BT HH6 - and you have not, as yet, completed the test I referenced in my previous reply, which would be helpful, to say the least. If it was high congestion, very unlikely in todays' environment, your connection stats would not be as they are.

John
jab1
Legend

@nos911 If you don't want to use the BT speed tester for some reason - try this one: https://www.speedtest.net/

John
nos911
Dabbler

Jab1 I am aware I can use a different router but I shouldn't have to to that in order to get an acceptable level of service, Plusnet are responsible for their service and equipment being up to the standard they claim, the supplied router isn't or is faulty and they refuse point blank to supply a replacement to see if it solves the issue(I'm sure it won't as its looking like a congested line).
Last night when trying to update a game on my Xbox one I was met with a download time of 28 hours and 23 minutes for a 24GB file, that works out at less than 2mbps throughput, when tethered to my mobile via 4G that instantly dropped to 42 minutes. Testing via the BT wholesale site via Ethernet with only one device connected gave me 2.2mbps download and 16.1mbps upload.
A highly congested line wouldn't impact on the router stats, it would only impact on the throughput.
jab1
Legend

So - can you you please post a screenshot of a result from either of those two speed-tests I have linked?

The results in message #6 do not suggest a congested line, btw.

John
nos911
Dabbler

The advanced test on BT wholesale isn't working at the minute but here are the results from a wired test I've just done.
Summary of Performance Test
Timestamp
Friday 19 March 2021 | 11:55:53
Ping
33 Ms
Download
16.22 Mbps
Upload
18.65 Mbps

Thats the highest download I've had in weeks.
jab1
Legend

OK, thanks for that. There is something definitely strange there because your upload is perfectly OK, but the download is way below what it should be., based on the earlier reported help desk details, but without the advanced test screen shot it is hard to say what the problem is, but that to my mind rules out a router problem.

Sorry for repeating my requests for screen shots, but the full details revealed in them, rater than an excerpt of what you think is important can help.

I wonder if @Baldrick1 has any further thoughts?

John
nos911
Dabbler

Here is a screenshot of a test using the additional diagnostics option.PSX_20210319_133217.jpg