Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portforwarding on Plusnet Hub One

FIXED
Billh
Hooked

Portforwarding on Plusnet Hub One

Im having problems with portforwarding for minecraft.   ive setup both the udp and tcp to 25565 and set it up to point to my daughters PC.     How ever when using a port checker,  it keeps saying its closed.     Ive seen other posts where they say to go into the broadband firewall settings on myaccount and disable it.   But the web page just bombs out.    Is this still available.

Regards Bill

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Portforwarding on Plusnet Hub One

Your account doesn't seem to have access to the server side firewall for some reason. You can assume by this though, that it isn't enabled.

A port is only going to show as open if the device you are pointing traffic to is actually listening on that port. Simply configuring the port forwarding rule in the router is only half of the equation.

It would help to know what you are trying to achieve? Unless your daughter is trying to host a Minecraft server, then I don't expect port forwarding is necessary. The automatic UPnP function of the router should take care of things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Billh
Hooked

Hi ,   Yes she is trying to host a minecraft server,   but when we check with a port forwarding tool to check if the port is open,  it always comes back s  closed.    Ive tried disabling the firewall on her pc as i thought that would be causing the issue.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

The port forwarding looks fine.

You could try checking the Windows machine to see if it's listening on the advertised port by running 'netstat -a' from a command prompt and looking for the Minecraft server. If it's running then I'd expect to see something like this:

TCP 0.0.0.0:25565 DESKTOP-OI5LEEC:0 LISTENING

If you can't see anything on port 25565 then the problem likely sits with the configuration of the server somewhere.

Seems like the config is pretty involved.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

What's Minecraft2? I'm assuming that's not set up with the same port?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Good question, although I'd be surprised if the router allows it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well when I did it years ago, I had an HP Microserver. Good while it lasted.

I used to remote desktop into it from work. I created an A record on my domain - server.mydomain.com. It worked well at my old company, I used to log into my server at work. It got round the internet blocks they tried to put in, even though I knew how to hack it. Just remove the default gateway to the proxy and job done.

I had admin rights to my desktop, so a GPO is not going to stop me from manually changing the registery. So I just changed the registery.

My sysadmin friend knew I had hacked the registery and was accessing my server from work. He was nice enough to turn a blind eye.

Sorry back on topic a bit - I just manually opened a port. It is worth having a domain for 10 paaannd, as it saves you from remembering your IP and also paying PlusNet 5 paaannd for a static IP.

Then I would check your device, disable the PlusNet firewall from your settings and any piece of software which may be blocking it (I am thinking of any anti virus sofware you may have installed). Then change the settings on your router.

The site I am thinking of is probably sheildsup, which you may have already tried.

Billh
Hooked

HI ,       

You cant select Minecraft again from the list once its been allocated to a pc. ,   so i added a second minecraft to see if i could forward to my pc. 

Only did it because i was trying to find out if the problem was with my daughters pc.

Billh
Hooked

Port now seems to be open when i check using a web port listening tool.    Also the netstat displayed that it

is listening on port 25565.     Not sure whats changed,  but seems to be running now.

Thanks for your assistance.   Smiley