Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding with voip hub one.

Dave2021
Dabbler

Port Forwarding with voip hub one.

Hi! newbie to plusnet here

OK so i have an old bt homehub1 i have modified to use with sipgate free and a similar setup at my friends house which we have used for about 10 years on weekends so we can chat together without worrying about going over an hour etc

last week i moved to plusnet and after swapping the routers from my old provider my bt unit can no longer register with the sipgate server.

over the years between my friend and i have used many different routers and normally it's just open up port 5060 and 5004 hey presto but the hub-one is having none of it.

Haven't confirmed it's the hub one as i can't find the password to re-instate my old router but occams razor and all that...

any one got any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Port Forwarding with voip hub one.

and normally it's just open up port 5060 and 5004 hey presto but the hub-one is having none of it.

@Dave2021 you shouldn't need to do any forwarding. In fact you probably can't forward port 5060 since the Hub one has a built-in Sip alg which handles port 5060.and cannot be disabled

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dave2021
Dabbler

ok cheers, but that's a shame, it has nice spec on paper, obvs the software is junk, not having a good day:(

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

obvs the software is junk

it should work fine for voip. I've used one in the past and afamily member currently uses one with no problems

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Are both routers using the same IP address range - as the PN Hub is based on a BTHH5 unless you have changed them or turned off DHCP,

Dave2021
Dabbler

Hi, nope,  removed the forwarding rules, restarted the hh1 no joy,

the unit requires registration and i imagine that is the problem, the sip server is possibly checking for the open port before allowing the registration process to complete, failing to detect that it, appears to be rejecting the connection,

as i said been thru a  fair few hubs, bthh1 and 2, netgears, thomsons last one was a technicolor all fine.

@Mustrum no conflict on addressing, I left the PNH1 at default .254, the hh1 is .1 and has its own dhcp, wifi ap disabled, tried plugging it in direct as it is normally via a switch at the other end of the house, still no joy.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Dave2021  it's not the 1 or 254 that I mean, it is the range - 192.168.1.1-254 both routers can't have the same range and DHCP switched on - many other isp and aftermarket routers use 192.168.0.1-254 hence no clash before.

Dave2021
Dabbler

Hi yeah the unit being used for the voip is an old homehub1 so its default was same as the PN hub 1, but i have always used it on 192.168.1.1 and disabled dhcp on it just to keep things simple-ish

been thru the config several times, there's no problems there i can access both admin pages on the appropriate addresses ok, crazy thing is i recongnised the software on the PN1 straight away as adapted hh sw but i used to use the hh1 as a voip adapter with the hh2 years ago.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Dave2021 have you tried using a softphone, configured with your sippgate account, on another device ?

That should identify whether its a Hub one problem or configuration of your old homehub one

Dave2021
Dabbler

@MisterW 

hi, i was in the process of trying that last night and downloaded phonerlite but got caught up in some work, did install and conig basic settings this morn and no joy.

not overly familiar with the sip alg, does the implementation in the pnh1 require uPNP?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Dave2021 im not sure tbh. Probably worth changing the upnp setting to see if it makes any difference.

Do you get any error back when trying to register ?

Dave2021
Dabbler

@MisterW 

unf no, no errors, just repeated attempts to register in the BTHH log, and nothing on the Router which is now the technicolour, made no difference putting that back in.

I can get a connection using the phonerlite software so this is baffling, i even had a spare old BTHH i reprogrammed and paired with a phone, that did the same.. spent at least 9 hrs on this...If i wasn't so poor it would be time to think about a new ip phone lol

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

can get a connection using the phonerlite software so this is baffling, 

@Dave2021 that does indicate that the problem is the old homehub configuration.

Since its a,static ip, the likely problem is incorrect network parameters. Check the netmask and default gateway settings

Dave2021
Dabbler

@MisterW

Hi, the network config is fine, obviously i have to enter that info in my browser to get the admin page up,

i have thought of an interesting test, hopefully i can take the hub "as is" and plug it in to my friends setup, then bring his to my house.

Hopefully that will highlight or dismiss any network issue, but ofc it could be pure co-incidence the thing has gone faulty but as the few other features it has all work and the spare failing at same time?

unfortunately the homehub1 is so old now and any info on them has long vanished, used to be a great website about them but it's gone Sad it will be over a decade since i set it all up lol)

you might be onto something with the default gateway, not sure i have even needed to set that and the various utils i have used have never required or mentioned it, possibly it might be hard coded as .254 and as i tend to set all the main routers as that. it will never have come up, i shall investigate it via telnet see if i can track if it's set in there

does windows allow you to form direct connections with incompatible netmasks?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Dave2021 the netmask defines the address range that are treated as 'local' i.e can be accessed directly by IP . It's usually set to 255.255.255.0 . Any destination IP outside that range will be sent to the default gateway for routing. The Hub one has a default address of 192.168.1.254 so that should be the default gateway for your Homehub. If the default gateway is wrong then the Homehub wont have any route to the internet, but it will have access to the local network.

Does this site https://www.voip-info.org/bt-home-hub-as-fxs/ help with the config ?