Port Forwarding on the Sagemcon 2704N

Liquidream

Re: Port Forwarding on the Sagemcon 2704N

Thank you @TardisRepairMan - you just made my day! Grin

I've been trying to get this working properly for days... Roll_eyes

mtcerio

Hi all,

Same problem as everyone else here, port forwarding gets lost/changed after some time.

@TardisRepairMan I have tried your solution to set servers to get IP address assigned automatically, and then assign static IP addresses on the Sagemcom, but *some* of my servers still appear as "unknown-xx:xx:..." and their IP forwarding gets changed.

@paraintom I have also tried to disable all DHCPv6 settings in the expert page, but it changed nothing for me.

Any help would be appreciated, I have just switched from BT and it is a deal breaker for me if I am not able to set up the port forwarding I need.

Cheers

maTTeo

JonathanB
Hooked

I'm having similar problems - after some time the mac address of the port forward changes to a different one (although the "Unknown-<mac>" name is correct:

plusnetportforward.png

I have disabled the DHCP server as I run my own (actually it's on the raspberry pi that has the mac ending in 74). 

It's very frustrating that I can't port forward to a particular IP address.

JonathanB
Hooked

I'm actually pretty horrified at this as having just checked (after rebooting the router), it is now forwarding my ports to a random device on the wifi network! (Happens to be my wife's iPhone) Security risk or what?

JonathanB
Hooked

And a few minutes later the ports are being forwarded to yet another different device on the wifi network. The device that it should be forwarding to is on the fixed ethernet side.

JonathanB
Hooked

I tried to raise this issue via the chat system last week, but have heard nothing... how can we get this issue looked into seriously?

mtcerio

@JonathanB wrote:

I tried to raise this issue via the chat system last week, but have heard nothing... how can we get this issue looked into seriously?

I did, and on the phone, they essentially told me that port forwarding is not supported by them, and therefore they would not help me with the issue. They suggested I can try using another router (which I successfully did), but that was it.

I further provided some written feedback on the call, highlighting my disappointment about the bugged router they dispatch, and the refusal of supporting it. This is their answer:

Dear ...,

Thank for taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately port forwarding is not a basic service or setting that the average user would use. Because this is changing how the router connects to the internet and the basic settings of our router we do not or cannot advise on doing this.

As it is opening up outside connections this can be seen as a security risk and thus as a company if we support this and someone is affected by opening up the ports we would then be liable for any damages.

We do not sell our service on the ability to port forward on our routers and thus we would not advise customers of not supporting this as the majority of our users do not use this feature.

I apologise you feel this was not brought to your attention appropriately and I am glad to hear that you have arranged alternative means of achieving this.

Kind regards,

Daniel Heard

Needless to say that this second answer is as disappointing as the first one. Saying that "port forwarding might be a security risk" is like saying don't drive your car because you can have an accident.

Matteo

JonathanB
Hooked

Very disappointing as it's a functionality of the router within the plusnet branded software - not part of the hidden expert settings. If they don't want to support it then it shouldn't be available on their router.

I'm now wondering if I need to buy a new router or can change the software on the plusnet one. At least I only paid for the postage of it.

Lurch
Rising Star

@JonathanB wrote:

I'm now wondering if I need to buy a new router

That would always be my preferred option/suggestion rather than use any ISP supplied router for anything other than basic internet access.