cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding on the Sagemcon 2704N

TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

Port Forwarding on the Sagemcon 2704N

I have just switched to Plusnet and all is well APART from port forwarding! I run a small server on port 8080 and there is no way I can port forward. Occasionally it seems to work but after an minute or two no forwarding happens.
I go into advanced settings and port forwarding. I then choose add a new game or application. I then enter a name and choose no to not copy existing. I then add the port address 8080 in all fields and click apply. I then go to add game/application and select the name I have just added and select the sever I wish the port forwarded to. I then click add and it appears on the page. I then exit the router. Sometimes clicking http://<myipaddress>:8080 works but then after a while to fails and will not come back. Help please
23 REPLIES 23
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Port Forwarding on the Sagemcon 2704N

Can you use your previous router as doing anything like that with the 2704n is almost if not totally impossible
TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

I was with Sky and had the Sky Hub - can I use it on PlusNet????Huh
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I believe there's no loopback adapter in this router so entering your own IP address in the browser just doesn't work, but the portforward should still be working.
You could test "http://<myipaddress>:8080" by using a free proxy server.
Not all free proxy servers work with port 8080 but this one does:
http://www.uk-proxy.co.uk
TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

Thanks for the suggestion - I am aware that some routers behave like this and had already tried to access my server using my iPhone and 4G - same result. When first set up it works perfectly for a few minutes and then goes down
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Could it be a firewall issue on the PC which is running the server?
TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

There never was a problem when I was with Sky and using the Sky Hub! The server PC is running Ubuntu Server and the firewall is disabled. sudo ufw status returns  Status: inactive
TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

I would be upset if I had to go and buy a new router just to get port forwarding to work!!!!!!
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Is the target computer listed as Unknown-<mac address> in the 2704N? If so see this post - workaround was to do something so it's not listed as Unknown.
TardisRepairMan
Dabbler

ejs - many many thanks - this led me to the answer. I had given the server a fixed IP address and it was listed as Unknown<mac address>  So the first thing I did was change the server to use DHCP. It was then listed as <ServerName><mac address>
So then I created port forwarding to it and it worked!!!
I then went into the expert menu http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html and under Advanced Setup and Lan I allocated a fixed IP address to the servers MAC address.
It works and I have a fixed IP address
Many thanks
ChrisWoods
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Bumping this as it's still broken on the 2704. No problems with unknown device name, cribbed the MAC exactly as printed on the 'simple' interface into the advanced pages, even set up port triggering... No joy.
paraintom

Quote from: TardisRepairMan
ejs - many many thanks - this led me to the answer. I had given the server a fixed IP address and it was listed as Unknown<mac address>  So the first thing I did was change the server to use DHCP. It was then listed as <ServerName><mac address>
So then I created port forwarding to it and it worked!!!
I then went into the expert menu http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html and under Advanced Setup and Lan I allocated a fixed IP address to the servers MAC address.
It works and I have a fixed IP address

That's very promising, I have the same behaviour than you (Unknown<mac address>). What do you mean by "change the server to use DHCP?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you had entered the IP address for the server into the network adapter properties on that computer, you'll need to change it back to "obtain automatically". Then, if you want the server to always have the same IP address, or a particular IP address, you'll need to configure that on the router.
paraintom

Quote from: ejs
you'll need to change it back to "obtain automatically".

Unfortunately I never changed the default behaviour for obtaining the Ip adress (via DHCP so). My server Os is wheezy running on a Raspberry Pi.
paraintom

Hello everyone,
Turning off the DHCPv6 in expert view solved my problem.
I have now port forwarding working!