cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding drop down menus not selecting - dodgy router maybe ?

FIXED
bbbazman
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Port Forwarding drop down menus not selecting - dodgy router maybe ?

I've not been able to find a solution to this yet, sorry if I've missed something.

I am trying to set up port forwarding and I have already successfully completed this on four occasions to accommodate some IP cameras, so I do know how to do it. Under 'manage games & applications' I've been able to set up an 'app' to forward the port that I need for the latest camera, which for the sake of ease, lets say that I've called it 'IP1234'

I am able to highlight IP1234 in the 'game or application' drop down, but that's where it ends ! 

At the moment when I try to select from the drop-down menus, I am unable to select an application or device, the drop down options appear but I am unable to select them to move forward. If I click on the option, it highlights what is selected - but the menu does not retract. This is true regardless of which 'app' is chosen. The same is true for the 'device' options.

The router is using the latest firmware I believe; Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 

On another possibly non-related note, I can only connect a new device when I set up a fixed IP from that device as the router does not seem to want to automatically allocate an IP address even though the DHCP server is enabled.

Also - only some of the devices are showing up when I interrogate the home network. For example only 2 of the 4 IP cameras are shown despite all of them being well within the (default) DHCP network range defined under 'advanced - home network - IP addresses'. 

I'm beginning to wonder if this router needs to find a home in the bin next to the orange peel and sweaty tea-bags?

Any ideas ? Thanks in anticipation. I've tried various resets ( except factory because that so much hassle for me) but all these seem to do is cause my sync connection to reduce by about 10% every time I do it.

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Port Forwarding drop down menus not selecting - dodgy router maybe ?

Devices not shown on the network map is an aknowledged bug. Discussed elsewhere here but on mobile at present so can't link you.
The inability to assign NAT rules and the DHCP issue is a new one on me though. Worth a factory reset if you haven't tried already. Granted, that means you'll need to set all your rules up again Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bbbazman
Hooked

Fix

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the prompt response.

So I've just worked it out !

I remember seeing an issue elsewhere where some buttons were not visible on a web interface and it was overcome by zooming out ( or zooming in, I can't quite remember) which overcame the flash (or whatever browser plug-in it was) bug, and that got me thinking that browsers aren't fool-proof.

So I accessed the web interface via safari - which I generally stay away from - and 'lo and behold' I was able to select from the drop down menu.

It seems to me that using OSX and Chrome, is causing the problem, for me at least.

cheers

Baz

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Glad to hear you cracked it. What OSX iteration are you running? I'll fire up the MacBook and try and replicate.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bbbazman
Hooked

Hey Bob,

So there doesn't appear to be any consistency. We have a house full of apple computers and I've tried most of them.

Here's what I found..

Does not work on :-

10.7.5. lion - 2012 27" i5 imac mid 2011
chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit)

10.8.5  mountain lion 2012 mini-mac
chrome Version 49.0.2623.112 (64-bit)

10.10.5 yosemite - late 2012 i7 3.4GHz 27" Imac

10.13.2 . HIgh sierra - late 2015  i7 4GHz 27" Imac 
chrome version Version 67.0.3396.62 (Official Build) (64-bit)

It does however, work on 

10.8.5 Mountain Lion on a 2011 i7 macbook pro
chrome version 49.0.2623.112 (64bit)

10.11.13 El Capitan  on 2015 i7 macbook pro
chrome version 48.0.2564.116  (64 bit)

The only consistency I could see at that point is that it worked on the laptops but not on the desktops. I'm guessing that's a coincidence.

Then after enticing my boy to keave his workstation for a chocolate break, I noted that it does work on his..

10.7.5  lion - 2012 27" i5 imac mid 2011
chrome version 49.0.2623.112 (64bit)

which is an identical set up to the first one noted above.

So I'm stumped.