cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding Issue: Cannot connect to local SSH Server

johnpmckay

Port Forwarding Issue: Cannot connect to local SSH Server

Hi,

I am trying to get an SSH Server that is sitting on my local network to be visible to the outside world. I have set up the Port Forwarding to map to the correct device (ie mac address is same as server). However, I can't connect to it from another server that is hosted by Rapid Switch. I have noticed that although I can ssh to my local server from my laptop on my local network without a problem (ie via the PlusNet router), the SSH server does not appear on the list of connected devices... which is a bit odd. It is the only device that has a fixed IP address (outside of DHCP range) but no sure why this would be relevant.

I assume this is why the router is not doing the Port Forwarding correctly as it thinks the device is not online. On the face of it this looks like a rather basic bug, but I find it hard to believe that something so fundamental would exist in a mature product ... so I assume I must be doing something wrong ?

I can SSH out from the hosted server to other servers without a problem, just can't connect to the local one.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated !

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Port Forwarding Issue: Cannot connect to local SSH Server

If you're using the hub one, set the server back to us dhcp and then when it appears in the router check the 'always use the same ip' box.

The machine will then appear for port forwarding rules.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
johnpmckay

Thanks for the very quick reply !

I will give that a try and report back either way.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

When creating a port forwarding rule, you can assign it to the IP rather than the hostname/mac. That should also work. It's what I've done before for an SSH server on my network and I've never had problems.
I suspect the cause of your problem is an aknowledged bug we have queued for a future firmware fix.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵