Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wifi

a1chalky
Hooked

Poor Wifi

Hi

I am Fibre broadband customer and for a long time, the Wifi is poor.

I get a steady 37mbs through wired, however the wifi signal 'drops' off frequently. I've changed channels, had a new router, reset the router, phoned the technical helpline several times.

Can anyone suggest anything to try?

Regards

Adam

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Poor Wifi

Download wifi analyser inSSIDer; then look at what channels are in use in your vicinity, and choose the least used.
You didn't bother to give details of what router you have, but if it's dual band, try turning off one of the 2 frequencies, by going into settings. Lastly ensure router is nowhere near an item such as a DECT phone, as that will be competing for air space.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Welcome to the forum.

If you download a sniffer app, I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone, this will enable you to see if neighbours are using the same channel as you. You can also see the reception level at different locations.

Assuming you have a Hub One have you separated the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels? See here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587.... Then try each channel in turn.

Other in band signals not visible in Wifi Analyser can also cause problems. Classic examples are cordless landline phones. I have also had a cordless VOIP phone that blanked Wifi signals.

Lastly do you live in a modern or refurbished building? Aluminium backed insulation boards and plasterboard are killers of Wifi signals.

Try working through this list for a start and let us know how you get on.

Edit.

Gel types faster than me by at least 9 minutes per message!

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

a1chalky
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, it is a Hub one router. It was near the Home phone so I have moved it. I will try to remove a Frequency. It seems really bad on iPhones but good on Now Tv boxes?

a1chalky
Hooked

Thanks for the reply, I will try the things use suggest. It seems to be really bad on iPhones for some reason?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I believe that iPhones are one of the devices that can have problems if the 2.4 and 5GHz bands are synced. Hopefully this will be improved if you split them.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

a1chalky
Hooked

Hi thanks.

How do I split them?

a1chalky
Hooked

Sorry! you put a link earlier in the thread.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @a1chalky

Please let us know how you get on with splitting the frequencies.  Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
a1chalky
Hooked

I turned off the 'sync with 2.4ghz' under the 5ghz settings, moved the router further away from the home phone, changed the channels and for the last two days has been much better 👍😁

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@a1chalky - still working okay?

a1chalky
Hooked

Yes, still good had to test each channel but much better