Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wifi Performance from Plusnet Hub One

mactell
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Poor Wifi Performance from Plusnet Hub One

Hello all, 

So I've noticed my Plusnet Hub one is giving me incredibly bad WiFi performance (when in the same room as the Router). I've done the following;

- Manually setting the channels to a less congested channel.

- Splitting the 2Ghz/5Ghz bands into 2. 

- Testing different appliances within the house (achieving the same results) 

- Need I say restarting the hub? 

I've also noticed when using the 5Ghz band I am getting a 'buzzing' noise which doesn't sound great to be honest?

Anyway, from the results of doing a speed test (Bearing in mind I get 54down/9-10up over Ethernet) I can't get above 20mbps on any of my devices and also struggle to see above 4Mbps upload. 

Yes I know wireless isn't great at the best of times, but come on? 

(Whilst testing no other devices were connected/in use to make it a fair test) 

Hardware/Firmware Info - Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 12/08/17

Look forward to your thoughts/suggestions on this.

6 REPLIES 6
lowflypilot

Re: Poor Wifi Performance from Plusnet Hub One

I have been experiencing exactly the same situation over the last six weeks.  Apple devices spilt onto 5GHz network and others on 2.4GHz.  I have to reset my router every two days as wifi speed dropping to around 50% of max of 66Mbps.  When router reset it comes back up to full speed.  Must be 'magic' (sic).

Have raised this with PN on numerous occasions and have changed channels etc but problem persists.  Raised the issue today with one of the 'techies' (sic) and I suggest that as a customer of over a decade with PN and a router less than a year old that the simplest logical step would be to replace router.  Seems logical right?  Wrong according to PN.  In case anyone is not aware I have been informed that as per contract, WiFi speed is not guaranteed.

Bottom line is if you have a duff router - PN don't care and want to hang you out to dry.

Bless.

I thought they were better than others but now my eyes have been opened.  Happy to change provider.  We deserve better than this.

mactell
Grafter

Sounds to me like the "1 Year Warranty" isn't worth the paper its written on. Fed up with this terrible WiFi, I've found a number of issues on the forum about it as well. Clearly a fault with the product. 

BillyCool
Rising Star

@mactell that certainly isn't right and it sounds like your router is having issues.

Have you tired the factory reset?

"Use a paper clip, pen, or something pointed to press in thereset pinhole button on the back of the router. Keep the button pressed for 20 seconds. When the light on the front of your Hub turns green, release the reset button. When the light on the front of the Hub turns blue, it's now restored tofactory settings."

What is your hard wired speed?

mactell
Grafter

Hi @BillyCool,

Thanks for the response. Yes I did actually try this a couple of weeks ago but to not avail. 

I've contacted PlusNet over LiveChat and apparently they've sent out a replacement router free of charge so will await the arrival of it. 

I'll post back here with an update once received to see if its improved.  

I did actually mention the speeds within main thread "54down/9-10up over Ethernet" 

BillyCool
Rising Star

@mactell - Apologies - I was rushing my reply. 

Certainly sounds like a router issue and hopefully a quick fix once your new one turns up.

I've got everything crossed for you!

Jim55

I'm having similar problems trying to use w-fi on my new PN hub. I use my computer in the room next to my hub. The door is left open, the walls are modern board construction rather than brick and the total distance from laptop to hub is 13 paces. My download speeds can range from 15Mbs to 3Mbs, so I've just given up on wi-fi and am using an ethernet connection which gives me a pretty constant 29mbs download and 11 Mbs upload.

Not a great problem, but I appreciate others will find it a real pain.