cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Wi-Fi signal & regular reboots of router needed

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Poor Wi-Fi signal & regular reboots of router needed

Since moving to Plusnet from Sky, I've had all manner of issues. From poor signal in the house - which wasn't there with the bog standard Sky router, that covered every corner of the house just fine, albeit with signal dropping off in the far reaches - to needing regular reboots of the router if on 5ghz. Even my little Netgear AP extender regularly needs to be rebooted for it to "See" the router, as that drops the connection too - again never once had this issue with Sky.

I've followed all your troubleshooting, I have 5ghz wireless switched off as at least once a day the router will need rebooting as all wireless services drop off but seriously I shouldn't have to do that and it was advertised to be 5ghz, I've changed channels (there aren't any competing channels in the location), I've moved it into it's own little area that has nothing that may just interfere - again the Sky router was right next to the wireless land line and never had these issues. Additionally while 5ghz is working there is a noise from the router, which has been noted on these forums and across the internet a lot.

Finally speeds just aren't anywhere close in "feel" to Sky. If I run a speedtest I can see it's getting the full 38mb in places in the house but in reality when browsing it feels like a poor DNS lookup is taking place, often slow to find the webpage and then  ok once it's loaded.

Really appreciate some help here guys. I've not been impressed but am reluctant to buy a 3rd party router when the one I get as standard should be fit for purpose. At the moment I'm considering buying myself out of the contract as another 15 months with this situ isn't great.

Look forward to your response.

14 REPLIES 14
ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Re: Poor Wi-Fi signal & regular reboots of router needed

Just to add more info, that is across 3 Macs, 1 HP Windows 7 laptop and iPads & iPhones. Certainly not device related.

BT Wholesale result.

Download Speed (Mbps): 27.76

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 7.81

Ping Latency (ms): 27

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your wireless signal. Our tests aren't showing any problems with the broadband signal coming into your router with your sync speed at 40mbps and no drops over the past 37 days.

Do you experience these problems without your access point plugged into the router with your devices solely connecting to the WiFi provided by the router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Thanks for your response Gandalf. Yes, the WAP is only on occasionally. Devices connect fine initially. 

The line has been stable however it’s WLAN side rather than the fibre link here at fault. I’ve had to turn off 5ghz - which isn’t great when it’s supposed to be on. If it’s on, the experience is shocking. 

if you check back in logs you’ll see that there will be multiple disconnections at the start until I switched of 5ghz. Regardless, 2ghz signal strength is poor however as I say above the broadband speed is coming in just fine but the experience is poor, sometimes unusable so will just give up and tether to our mobiles. We gave up restarting / rebooting hence why it’s shown up for over 30 days. 

To to list the issues so they don’t get lost in the text :

5ghz is useless, regular disconnection of devices. Eventually requiring a reboot to get any wireless connection

5ghz router makes an annoying sound

5ghz is off as a result

Poor signal after moving one room. 2 rooms down and a WAP is needed. I live in a small 2 bed semi.

WLAN experience isn’t always quick, may need to disconnect and reconnect device to get any sort of service. As mentioned, almost like a DNS request is struggling to get a response when browsing

Not mentioned above, VOIP like Skype or FaceTime audio is poor consistently

thanks

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Hi guys - any chance for a response please?
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @ikarugamoo,

I'm afraid that we have raised the issue with noise on the 5GHz frequency band with our vendor and they have advised it is within acceptable limits however, we are still investigating the problem and working towards a resolution. This also shouldn't effect the functionality of the router.

As you have changed the wireless channels and split the frequency bands, could you kindly provide us the software version of the router by following the guide below.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Troubleshooting' then 'Helpdesk' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'.

3) Item 3 should be labeled 'Firmware version'.

Once we receive this information we can then check for any known wireless stability issues.

Is this issue solely wireless out of the room you are connecting in? Do you receive a quick response from a page if you connect via Ethernet cable or are in the same room as the router?

Although it is unlikely the route cause of the issue, do you have the router connected directly into the power socket or through a plug extension? If it's an extension, please try connecting directly to the power socket on your wall as well.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@ikarugamoo 

When you've had enough of the Plusnet Hub go onto Ebay and get a BT Smarthub 6. Preferably get a Business version as you can choose which DNS servers to use with these. I paid about £20 for one. Setting instructions are here.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Make sure you get a FTTC version. These have four yellow LAN sockets. You do not want a FTTP model which has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Hi Lewis,

Here’s the firmware version.

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated Unknown

im afraid I can’t test via Ethernet. None of my devices have it without a converter which I don’t have. Apologies. The slow responses can happen anywhere in the house.

Its already plugged into the wall.

Cheers

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for confirming, @ikarugamoo

@bobpullen - could we get the latest firmware version pushed here please?

@ikarugamoo - Once Bob has confirmed that your firmware has been updated, please monitor the connection and let us know if this improves (or otherwise).

Best wishes

Dave

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Great thanks Dave. Look forward to trying the new firmware when it's down.

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

@RandallFlagg any ETA on this update please? @Baldrick1 lovely cheers, will see how the fix goes and then maybe look into it.
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @ikarugamoo

@bobpullen is regularly on the forums and will push this out to your router shortly.

I've also raised this directly to our products team to cover all bases. The response time for a firmware update is usually within 2-3 working days. 

Best wishes

Dave

ikarugamoo
Dabbler

Ok many thanks Dave. Matt
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Firmware was updated on the 11th.