cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pod Point will not connect to Plusnet router

janekhowell

Pod Point will not connect to Plusnet router

Please can I have help regarding connecting the Pod Point device to my router.

Today we had a installation of our electric charger for our car. This is a branded charger 'Pod Point'. 

The installation was carried out by Pod Point, however the final stage failed when trying to connect the Pod Point to our router. 

The electric charger connects to the Wi-Fi so that we can use the app to see how long charging takes, when completed and the cost of charging. 

I have not made any changes to the router, apart from the SSID and password. 

Is there any setting on the router that I need to change to allow it to connect?

The router is extremely close to the Pod Point - just the other side of the wall - it could not be close!

The installation team were at a loss to understand why it would not connect. All other installation have connected to home routers without any issue. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Jane 

15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Pod Point will not connect to Plusnet router

Have you tried splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands and give the 5ghz one a different SSID ?

Some devices that can't support 5ghz get confused when the SSID s are the same

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Personally I would factory reset the router (which I would expect to reset the SSID and password) and try to connect your  'Pod Point' charger.

Assuming that works, just change the password and finally change the SSID and see if the connection fails at each stage.

I am the satisfied customer....
cdrnet
Hooked

I cannot find where this has been posted to as no link has been provided.

I have the very same problem.

Please can you help?

Tags (1)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@cdrnet The original post was in the ADSL board - incorrectly - and then moved here. The only answers available are those posted by Mister W or markhawkin.

John
cdrnet
Hooked

Surely it must be possible. I believe the original poster has been badly let down.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

It may be - it is possible either or both suggestions solved it for the OP, but if they don't reply, no-one will ever know, will they?

John
cdrnet
Hooked

I doubt that such 'Shot in the Dark' suggestions helped however hopefully they will post in response to this to confirm either way.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@cdrnet splitting the wifi bands is not a 'Shot in the Dark' suggestion. It's quite  a common issue with devices that only support 2.4ghz. They see the same SSID on a 5ghz band and try and connect, but they can't since they dont support 5ghz!

Splitting the band and allocating a different SSID to the 5ghz band solves the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cdrnet
Hooked

The router runs both 5 & 2.4Ghz already and I have working devices on both.

I am unable to change the SSID of the Pod Point or its IP address.

Are you suggesting that I should try changing the PlusNet router's SSID even though the PodPoint sees it and seems to accept the logon?

I'm happy to try that if you think it might help.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@cdrnet  from your other thread, are you able to change the static IP and accept an address from the router DHCP ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Are you suggesting that I should try changing the PlusNet router's SSID even though the PodPoint sees it and seems to accept the logon?

yes, I'm suggesting you unsynch the wifi bands on the router and change the ssid for the 5ghz band.

AIUI the pod point works something like a chromecast, it initially provides a wifi direct connection so that you can enter the details for the wifi on your router. It then disconnects the wifi direct and connects to your router, obtaining an ip address via dhcp I assume

cdrnet
Hooked

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly the fixed IP of the Podpoint can't be changed. I can connect to it and see the Plusnet WiFi. After I connect with the SSID & passcode, it saves it and they say it should just work via the app. I spoke with their support team and they did concede that their system is pretty poor.

I have now changed the Router’s SSID and the IP address range to be close to the Pod Point’s IP. Whilst it is still not working, the lights have changed slightly so I suspect I should give it a few hours and see how it has settled in the morning. I’d be really happy if I could PING it.

cdrnet
Hooked

"yes, I'm suggesting you unsynch the wifi bands on the router and change the ssid for the 5ghz band.

AIUI the pod point works something like a chromecast, it initially provides a wifi direct connection so that you can enter the details for the wifi on your router. It then disconnects the wifi direct and connects to your router, obtaining an ip address via dhcp I assume"

Thank you. That sounds like a logical approach. I hadn't considered the SSID in that way. I also appreciate the alternative DHCP approach. I had assumed that the IP was fixed however clearly that is for its own connection and your suggestion now makes a great deal more sense.

Of course there is also a chance that it has already logged onto my busy network and because I was looking for its fixed IP address and because the Podpoint ID wasn't displayed, I missed it completely.

Thank you. Much appreciated. I will report back.