Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet2 router

FIXED
RT2
Dabbler

Plusnet2 router

Simple question!

Can my Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop running Windows XP be WiFi connected to my router? At the moment I can't do it although the laptop does recognise it and I've followed all the Plusnet instructions. 

24 REPLIES 24
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

Re: Plusnet2 router

There is no reason why not - but Windows XP???

John
RT2
Dabbler

Thank you John for the reply. The laptop only comes out once in a while, my main computer is a desktop with Windows 10.

RT

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 4

It's possible the laptop won't support the appropriate security, e.g. WPA2. You may be able to change that on your router though.

I had this very specific issue recently with an older HP printer that connected by WiFi. It wouldn't connect to my router which is configured as WPA2 only but would to a (wired) access point (different SSID) that was set up as WEP/WPA.

It should have no issues connecting via a LAN cable, but you may struggle to find (if that's the problem) a WiFi device that has XP drivers and supports WPA2. You will also need to be running XP service pack 3 according to a quick online rummage.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

It's likely that the laptop only supports the 2.4ghz WiFi band. Try disabling the 5ghz on the Hub 2 temporarily and then connecting. Once connected you should be able to reenable 5 ghz

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@RT2 

If the computer has an Ethernet connector try connecting it to youe hub using an Ethernet cable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HPsauce
Pro

@MisterW I hope you'll find that's a bit of a red herring; I have both wavebands and some devices that only have 2.4GHz and there's no confusion. Worth a try though to be sure.

RT2
Dabbler

Thank you Baldrick1 for your reply. I've connected directly to the hub with the ethernet cable but still no joy.

RT

RT2
Dabbler

Thank you HPsauce for the reply. Connecting directly with an ethernet cable has made no difference. I shall make sure that Service pack 3 is installed, it should be.

RT

HPsauce
Pro

Not working via cable is weird, long time since I used XP though, do you have to turn the WiFi off? Have you checked in Device Manager that the ethernet adapter is working and what does the networking status show?

RT2
Dabbler

Thank you MisterW for your reply. Service Pack 3 is mentioned under Systems Properties 'General' as is 2.80GHz against CPU and RAM. Is 2.80GHz also the Wi-Fi frequency?

RT

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

No, just ignore my suggestion, your problem is more basic than that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RT2
Dabbler

Thank you for the reply. Disabling the Network adapters made no difference with regards to not being able to connect via the ethernet cable.

I should point out that there are 2 Network adapters shown, namely Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller and secondly Dell Wireless WLAN 1350Mini-PCI Card.

When I went into Device Manager Network adapters Broardcom was already disabled so only needed to additionally disable the Dell.

As regards the network status, if I'm looking at the correct window then it shows the Plusnet router with all the vertical bars illuminated (max signal strength) together with Automatic and yellow star. Putting in the router password starts the connecting searching and nothing subsequently happens except that it returns eventually to the original choose a wireless network connection window.

RT

RT2
Dabbler

Thank you MisterW for your reply.

RT

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RT2 

What are you hoping to achieve if you can get a network connection ?.

I'm wondering whether you will be able to browse the internet at all, because since Windows XP became obsolete, most websites have changed from HTTP to HTTPS and now enforce minimum security protocol of TLS v1.2 (since 2021) which I don't think Windows XP ever supported, therefore most websites will appear to be non-functioning.

Similarly my email provider now enforces a minimum of TLS v1.2 when attempting to access email from their servers.