cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hub one vs own router?

Sunzz
Grafter

Plusnet hub one vs own router?

Has anyone found a speed increase when using a different router then the ones supplied from plusnet or bt?
4 REPLIES 4
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Plusnet hub one vs own router?

Before I got my Plusnet fibre I was going to put down £150 on an Asus router from PC World as I was worried the Hub One wouldn't cut the mustard. I have had it for about a month now and I am quite happy with it so far. I haven't noticed any lag on games, speed has stayed at a constant 76mb, I can connect my 2tb HDD to the USB port and use it as a NAS. So far I am quite happy with it and haven't seen any issues yet. WIll be keeping my eye on it though as if it has problems with anything that I haven't tried yet (like streaming PC games to twitch), I will probably upgrade to something else.

That's my two pence though.. some of the other users will have a much better knowledge of their own personal experiences of using the Hub One and what it can and can't do very well.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The Asus VDSL2 devices have a poor reputation for their VDSL2 modems.

If your line is good enough to easily get the full speed of your product, then the modem probably won't make much difference.

Otherwise, the difference in speeds between different modems tends to only be a few percent.

The main advantage of getting a modem that works with DSLstats is that you have access to lots of stats and graphs for troubleshooting and diagnostic purposes.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I Can't fault my WDR3600 with a HG612 Modem, I'm using DD-WRT on the router.

@ejs I hear a lot of people raving about them Asus routers so that has surprised me!

The HG612 gives me slightly better performance over the Hub-One but that just may be my matching equipment Huawei cab plus Huawei modem, and to compare Hub against WDR3600 would be unfair, But, I would say there is a world of difference in many ways concerning options.

Sunzz
Grafter

hmm, well iv been using the plusnet hub one, and before that the home hub 5 but i do have a HG612 Modem sitting upstairs. Wondering if i could use that etc?