cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet 'chat' have told me to buy a different non-Plusnet router

TheoSmonds
Hooked

Plusnet 'chat' have told me to buy a different non-Plusnet router

I recently changed to Plusnet FTTC (the cabinet is on the pavement outside my front door) from Sky copper-only broadband (using a 7 year old O2 router from before Sky bought O2).

I was told I would get 79mb, great.  I might get near that wired, but I get between 1mb - 45mb WiFi. Fair enough, it's WiFi, it'll be less.  Not 'that' less though.  1mb?! The bandwidth is strangled. I can't even stream Netflix on my PS4.  I'm getting worse bandwidth and worse download speeds most of the time than I had on average with my old O2 router.  How is that possible?!

I had a live chat with a Plusnet advisor and the short story is that I was told to buy a new non-Plusnet router as the Plusnet hub thing they provided couldn't cope with my usage (streaming Netflix to 1 device was blurred and occasionally buffering!).

The advisor even told me that they personally use Sky, not Plusnet.
Great, thanks.  Reassuring.  So who forks out the cash for a new router, Plusnet?  Total shambles.

4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Plusnet 'chat' have told me to buy a different non-Plusnet router

ISPs only guarantee broadband speeds over a wired connection.  No ISP will provide any guarantees for wireless speeds.

Have you logged into the Hub One to check what wired speed is currently been provided?

Use a web browser and go to 192.168.1.254.

Navigate to Advanced Settings -> Broadband -> Connection.

Have you connected a computer to the hub using ethernet cable and performed a speed test to confirm all it well?

Unlike your old o2 router, the Plusnet Hub One is a dual band wifi router and your PS4 is also dual band.

Try splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless.

Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Then see if your PS4 performs better or worse on 2.4 and 5 GHz band.

If you choose to use 2.4 GHz band, try manually setting channels 1, 6 or 11 on the Hub One.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bluewhale
Rising Star

how far away is the router, on shortish distances the hub one works fine, but it is low power and so at medium to long distances works badly

TheoSmonds
Hooked

Hi Bill888, I really appreciate the detail of the advice you've given me.  My overall complaint was that previously on copper-only on a 7 year old plug and play modem/router I could stream not only to multiple devices at the same time via WiFi, but also even just to 1 device (be it my PS4, a laptop, a new iMac running Sierra, etc) in HD with no problems.  But since moving to faster (WiFi) speed Plusnet, my bandwidth is strangled and I can't manage to stream on 1 single device.  Being told by a Plusnet employee that they don't even use Plusnet and that I should fork out for my own router is a new experience for me, and left me a little full of rage.

In the end I've gone and bought a TP-Link and I'll set that up instead.  Pretty disappointed.

TheoSmonds
Hooked

Hi bluewhale.  Yep, I'm beginning to find that out.  Pretty shoddy in 2017.  See my reply to bill888.  I'm just unhappy that I'd have been netter off sticking with a rubbish O2 router and copper-only connection.  Now I've got to shell out for a new third party router/modem at the advice of the Plusnet tech. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and offer advice and thoughts. Chers.