cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Wireless Router not fit for purpose

Lahore47

Plusnet Wireless Router not fit for purpose

Does anybody not have issues with their router? Mine drops its WiFi to a crawl then the 5Ghz signal loses connection entirely. This forces all devices onto the 2.7Ghz signal, congesting it and maintaining poor speeds.

I suspect that Plusnet is aware that their router drops its 5Ghz signal because their first advice upon contact is to split the connection and use the 2.7Ghz primarily.

However when I complained they insisted on sending an engineer, although I’m confident that the Openreach equipment is not faulty as we’ve never had issues with previous routers.

The real tragedy is that I recently sent my Bt Hub back to be recycled, but I think knowingly sending routers unfit for purpose is shocking behaviour.
11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet Wireless Router not fit for purpose

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
whenwillitwork

Got the same problem and Plusnet do know about the issues with their router, I believe the WiFi problem is caused by a broadband problem / error, either the router shuts the 5Gig circuit down or the errors in the routers stack results in data timeout over the 5Gig WiFi link. If you have fixed equipment that require the internet i.e. TV Sky etc do has i did get some TP-Link power line units, they fine, or change to FTTP if available

Lahore47

Thanks for moving this topic to the correct thread mod.
Lahore47

I see you’ve got some workarounds, but I think that Plusnet have to provide us with equipment that’s fit for purpose. Has anybody bothered to take them to the Ombudsman for a decision?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Lahore47 

You need to be aware that Plusnet are contracted to provide an Internet connection to the BT test socket, not a wireless connection that is compatible with every known wireless device. They give you the option of taking a freebie hub but are quite happy for you to supply your own. Being a budget ISP the freebie budget hub works for the majority of people but others, myself included, pay very little money for a BT Smarthub 6 and accept that this is a small price to pay for a better low cost reliable wireless connection.

As far as the ombudsman or any other agency taking action is concerned I doubt that you have a case.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Lahore47

Thank you for your response.

The features of Plusnet broadband packages include within them the item “broadband router included”, so I disagree that the router itself isn’t an essential term of the contract. Given that providing a router is an almost universal condition from ISPs NOT providing one should have to be explicitly stated.

Within the Plusnet terms and conditions for fibre broadband at 1.1. “We'll provide you with access to the Internet, helpdesk services, and any other equipment, applications and features as described at www.plus.net/broadband”.

Therefore I think your understanding of what entails the performance of this contract is incorrect.

At 4.1.3. the terms tell us that Plusnet is NOT responsible for “ensuring equipment we provide allows you to get a wireless signal everywhere within your home or delivers the speeds possible over a wired connection wirelessly.”

Please note this is explicitly excluding indemnity for not providing any wireless connection at all. In any case, an inconsistent connection can’t be considered delivering a wireless signal, and that is what they are implicitly promising by excluding any wording to that effect.

My issue isn’t that the hub itself isn’t good enough, it’s that the one I have doesn’t do what it’s advertised as being able to do. Whether it’s an individually faulty hub or a firmware issue, there’s no denying it isn’t fit for purpose. Saying that they don’t guarantee wireless connections to “every wireless device ever” is not useful as that’s patently not what I’m complaining about. If the company knows that the hubs don’t work properly, either don’t use them, or set them up not to use 5Ghz, or advise your customers accordingly.

In short, the router is part of the contract, the router works. The terms and conditions mention a wireless connection as does the router’s setting and packaging. The wireless does not work effectively. Therefore, not fit for purpose.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @Lahore47 thanks for your time on the phone Smiley

I understand that someone from the Solutions Team has processed a router replacement for you, if you have any further issues then please get back in touch.

Just to give you some tips with Wi-Fi since you didn't want to discuss it further on the phone until you have your new router,

we are aware of some issues with the 5GHz frequency and this is being investigated further, I'd advise having a look at the thread here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363 for further information on this.

Whilst I appreciate this may be inconvenient, I'm afraid we can't guarantee wireless performance and most routers do run with solely 2.4GHz wireless; changing the channel can usually help so you can ensure you are using the best one as WiFi is prone to interference.

Whilst our router works adequately for the majority of our customers, there are some occasions where you might need to look at sourcing third party equipment such as a router with a stronger signal, power-line adaptors or WiFi booster if other factors are interfering with your signal (ie thickness of walls/ doors/ floor, electrical interference, wireless interference etc)

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Lahore47

Hi @tinytaco

Thank you for your comprehensive and professional reply. I hadn’t seen the linked thread, so that’s helpful to know.

A bit concerning that that post was made almost a year ago and no firmware update has been rolled out to fix the issue, but I suppose it is what it is.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Lahore47 and @whenwillitwork - I strongly suspect your issue is related to the problem linked to by @tinytaco

I have pushed an update to both of your routers. You'll need to reboot at your side to apply it.

Might be worth seeing how that goes before swapping the device out for a replacement.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Lahore47

Thanks @bobpullen. Just reboot it whenever?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yep, whenever's convenient.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵