cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router "Just Stops"

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Plusnet Router "Just Stops"

Over the last few weeks the Plusnet Router downstream of the BT modem "just stops"

I lose all internet connectivity, I can't even ping the router.

If I power it off & on again everything comes back as normal, and it runs for several days with no issues then just stops again

All the lights except for the "Internet" one stay alight, but as it won't ping I don't think it's a real indication, especially as the BT router still shows the normal 3 lights, Power, DSL & LAN1

Any suggestions as it's becoming annoying, especially when in the middle of of an online survey or banking

9 REPLIES 9
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Router "Just Stops"

Sorry to here about your plusnet router not working, could you try factory resetting the plus net router and then seeing if the connection stays up for more than a few days.

James

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

I have, twice, via web interface once the router has come up again

The first time it happened I also reset the BT modem, but have found since that the BT Modem is stable, it's just the plusnet one that goes AWOL

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

You could get a Hub One if you re-contract although that might prejudice any other negotiating you might wish to do.

Alternatively that well known auction site could do you a Hub One for perhaps £20.

If you then sell the modem (although strictly it might belong to Openreach) you probably won't be much down.

I am the satisfied customer....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As the router is within the contract period agreed, I'll get a replacement sent out. It should arrive in 3-5 days.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Thanks Chris

Have received router & installed. At present everything seems to be running OK, but only time will tell, keeping my fingers crossed.  Must say it does seem to make the internet seem a bit quicker, a speed test shows speed as 33M (same as old router) , but actually browsing to sites often seemed very lethargic with the old router.

What (if anything) do you want done with the router I've taken out?

Chris
Legend

I can get a bag sent out for it, or you can dispose of it yourself. Let me know if you want one sending.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Hi Chris

I'm quite happy to dispose of router, was just checking you/plusnet didn't want it back

Thanks for excellent service, to date no problems

Chris
Legend

Thanks for letting us know that all is working well Smiley

dougjbarnes1
Grafter

Hi Chris

I’ve had one outage (yesterday evening) when there was “No Internet” & checking the router the “Internet” LED was out, but the DSL & LAN1 LEDs on the BT router were alight.

Powering off the new router solved the problem, but surely it shouldn’t be happening.

Additionally, although BT Wholesale tests show a good download speed  (34.7M down, 1.79 Up, PL 18.88mS)

The reality is that broadband is very slow, refresh speeds on even a simple HTML page can be quite painful, and watching videos via iPlayer can only be conducted in SD mode, whereas I would have expected that I should be able to use HD now I’m on fibre, shouldn’t I?  I keep getting the dreaded buffering icon (as show by SKY ads all the time)

Again any suggestions on whether I have an issue or is it something to do with BT’s service or something else?

I'm running a simple Ping Test on the PC , hitting the Router Gateway and an Internet address, can't get a response from the WAN Address listed on the router, is that ICMP blocked?  Also is there any SNMP capability in your router or the BT one?