cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router keeps rebooting

sauny2000

Plusnet Router keeps rebooting

Over the ast week, my router has rebooted itself about 8 times.  The logs state that something has happened (BLOCKS) to do with Remote Administration.  The router then reboots itself.  I have never had this problem with any other provider.  The last time I contacted PLUSNET I was told that this is expected behaviour and is not unusual.  I however, this this is unusual and is not what I would expect from my broadband provider.  Anyone else having similar issues?

11 REPLIES 11
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Plusnet Router keeps rebooting

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @sauny2000 I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your broadband.

From looking at your connection logs, whilst there's more drops than what I'd like to see, it's probably not enough to raise a fault to our suppliers on...

Having said this, your router is in sync below your estimates...

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 2.0 Mbps

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 50.4 39.5 10 7.2    

Testing your line isn't identifying any issues...

Voice Line Test Result Pass

Your line is almost 1 mile from your cabinet so it's also possible that these drops/low sync issue are to be expected, having said this, the line is below the estimates so if you haven't already, I'd advise to try to testing your router from the test socket, as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If this doesn't help then to raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as it's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer.

I hope this helps.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@sauny2000,

A warm welcome to the forums.  This question would be better addressed on the router forum, to where I have asked the mods to move it.

I do recall a similar sounding issue before - it would be helpful if you can advise...

1. The router model number
  2. The firmware version
  3. The OS of your computer
  4. Anything you can discern you do which causes it to reboot

I vague recollection is that there was an OS / route / firmware combination which did repeatedly reboot - my memory might be flawed - I do not recall the details, but I am sure someone who frequents the router space will fill in the gaps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sauny2000

Thanks, however my connection has just dropped 3 time sagain in the last 10 minutes... a terrible service!

I have raised a fault, like I have done before, but I doubt anything will come of it.

sauny2000

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 Last updated 17/10/16
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One

I am using Linux, Windows and android, there appears to be no pattern at all.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm sorry to hear this. The last time you raised a fault we asked to book an engineer visit with you but we received no response on the ticket...
I'll take a look at your newly raised ticket tomorrow.

I've updated your ticket.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Gail
Dabbler

Every evening up to 6-8 times, and to be honest, I'm getting really fed up with it.  I'm going to find another provider as soon as my contract is up.  I was expecting Plusnet to be good - I'm very disappointed

Gail
Dabbler

How is one supposed to know if it's a router problem, or something else - I haven't had my router a year yet!

Gail
Dabbler

It seems that all you get is try this try that, do you have another box connected - I've disconnected my ZGemma box because I thought it was causing the problem, but it's as bad as every

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

If you have a Hub One, use a web browser and go to 192.168.1.254.  

Scroll through the log to around the time when you witnessed issues.  If you can copy the messages and paste them here, someone may be able to help determine whether it is a hub problem, or something else.

The main light on the front of the hub may also give some clue as to what is happening. eg. have you ever seen a flashing green light when there is a problem with the broadband service ? 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

sauny2000 wrote:

Thanks, however my connection has just dropped 3 time sagain in the last 10 minutes... a terrible service!

I have raised a fault, like I have done before, but I doubt anything will come of it.

Can you please clarify this problem - the title says "rebooting" but the above post says disconnecting.  These are quite different issues.  Based on "rebooting" this topic was moved to the router forum ... which if this is a disconnecting issue (broadband stability problem) might not be the best place for it.

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.