cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - PLEASE Allow Manual DNS on Hub One

lynxthecat
Dabbler

Plusnet - PLEASE Allow Manual DNS on Hub One

I am surprised and extremely disappointed to see that Plusnet have disabled manually setting DNS servers on the Plusnet Hub One and cannot even remotely change these on request. I have never before accessed a router settings page only to find no option to change the DNS servers.

This is highly detrimental and completely unacceptable. I want to protect against phishing and block adult content for my family. The Plusnet Safeguard facility is essentially useless since it does not force safesearch on google or protect against mixed content sites. These days it is commonplace for users to want to use non-ISP DNS servers and services like OpenDNS and CleanBrowsing offer excellent protection for your household. Suggesting users replace DNS servers on all devices other than router is not a valid workaround.

Plusnet: please allow us to set our own DNS servers on the Hub One!

This, and all the screw ups myself and other family members have experienced in respect of billing, will be another motivator for switching next time round.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet - PLEASE ALLOW MANUAL DNS ON HUB ONE

@lynxthecat - It may be that Plusnet are of the opinion that changing the DNS would only ever be done by a tiny minority of users so opted not to have it as an option. I can see the logic of this especially if these setting are required by their own ‘protection’ services.

I don't think there is any chance of this happening, so the only thing I can suggest is to get a router that supports your requirements.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Neither BT retail or Plusnet allow manual DNS selection on their residential routers. However you do get this option on the BT business versions.

About £20 will buy you a BTBusiness version of their Smarthub 6 on Ebay. This gives you this feature plus better wifi performance. Just make sure that you get the version with four yellow LAN sockets. Avoid the FTTP version which has a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the LAN sockets. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lynxthecat
Dabbler

Thanks. Is that the best cheap fibre router available at the moment? It is a pity I will have to fork out cash for this. Are you certain the performance is at least as good as the Plusnet Hub One?
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

From my point of view, the hub6 is actually far superior to the H1 - I can't complain for the wifi aspect of it

(though I'm using a residential one, for the time being....;))

(and only using that as I got one for free!! - no, not from PN)

Baldrick1

@lynxthecat 

See this link for a comparison between the Hub One and the Smarthub 6. https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

In case that you are not aware, the Hub One is an obsolete BT Home Hub 5A in a different case and with Plusnet tweeked firmware.

Moderator and Customer

lynxthecat
Dabbler

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and purchased the BT Business Smart Hub 6 on ebay for £27.50 including P&P. Wonder whether Plusnet will reimburse me for some of this given that I am being forced to purchase a router to set my own DNS settings.

The one I purchased seems to have the same item code (088315) as the one purchased by @jordanc1230. Though the image showing back of box is blurry. Not sure if that makes it type A or type B, but it looks like it is the one I need (FTTC).

Hope I have purchased the right model.

lynxthecat
Dabbler

Hi @Baldrick1 I just read that comparison and in that the Hub One fairs very poorly. I also see several independent review sites offering very positive reviews of the Smart Hub 6, e.g.:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/modem-routers/bt-smart-hub-review-3643011/

https://www.alphr.com/bt/1003795/bt-smart-hub-review-simply-the-best-isp-supplied-router-around

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/bt-smart-hub

So I can understand why many users here are purchasing it as replacement, if only for the DNS issue.

Baldrick1

@lynxthecat 

I am using model 088315 so yes, that is suitable.

Will Plusnet give you a rebate for not having the setting options that you require and hence lay themselves open to claims for the same refund from every customer they have? I leave you to work that one out!

Moderator and Customer

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
lynxthecat
Dabbler

Hey @Baldrick1 I installed the BT Business Smart Hub 6 in accordance with your instructions and so far so good - all seems excellent so far with far better Wi-Fi connectivity in an 1880 stone build house with thick walls. So finally I am using custom DNS (CleanBrowsing DNS) to filter out the trash and separate concurrent 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels as you suggest. One of my neighbours is with EE and so already has this router. Plusnet should move over to this one (business  version).

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Plusnet should move over to this one (business  version).

Hmm, well, if Baldrick1 doesn't mind, I shall use some of his above reply to try and answer that too

Will Plusnet give you ... the ... options that you require? I leave you to work that one out!

Same kinda reply. It'll only more than likely happen once BT (their owners) are satisfied all Hub Ones have run out. And even then it'll probably be a residential hub, thus no manual DNS changes on that router either.

Baldrick1

@lynxthecat 

Thenks for the feedback, I hope that you remain happy witk the performance.

The way I see it is that Plusnet are the budget BT ISP. As such they are less likely to supply the same hardware as their premium price BTRetail product. If BT Retail start giving all their customers their new Smarthub 2 then maybe Plusnet will get to supply the Smarthub. Even then it's very unlikely that this would have the option to select your own DNS server.

The policy for residential products seems to be to limit configuration options to the minimum, presumably to make them as idiot proof as possible and hence minimise the number of support queries.

Moderator and Customer

lynxthecat
Dabbler

Update: rock solid, excellent performance since installing. No issues at all. Would heartily recommend this router for anyone not happy with the Hub One. 

'For anyone thinking Plusnet is a dud,

could it be that Plusnet Hub?

That Hub One don't impress no one;

you can't even set your own DNS -

that 'aint event no next level process!

Replace that poundland-bargain-basement router,

with a BT Business Smart Hub 6 supercomputer.'

Paul_Bantams
Hooked

I have just bought a BT Business Hub 6 in order to set my own DNS servers. Got the router set up OK but was horrified to find the DNS appeared to be hard coded like the PlusNet router I had just replaced.

However, I found the below thread which suggests setting the DNS servers via the IPv4 Configuration settings. I have now done this and after disconnecting my iPhone from the router and re-connecting, I am thankfully now resolving to the OpenDNS servers.

I now don’t have to set OpenDNS on every device in the house manually (ie all my children’s devices).

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Business-Smarthub-6-and-DNS-Settings/td-p/1515382