cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub with Google Nest WiFi

ajpspjp

Plusnet Hub with Google Nest WiFi

Hi

I recently bought a Google Nest WiFi Router to improve signal throughout house.
I have followed the setup steps for the Google router: it is plugged by ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Plusnet Hub and have gone through the setup steps in the Google Home app, changing the WAN settings to PPPoE with <USERNAME>@plusdsl.net and password.

However at the next stage of setup it checks connection and says it cannot get internet connection.

I have been in touch with Google support who were very helpful but couldn't work out why it wasn't getting an internet connection through the hub. I've tried to speak to Plusnet support but they were utterly unhelpful and didn't understand the problem at all.

I've come across other forum posts on here that have had issues with Google WiFi and Plusnet, but all seem to have got past the setup step I'm at.

Does anyone know if there are any settings that need to be updated on the Plusnet side to get this to work? Google seemed to think it required a firewall or other settings change on the Plusnet hub.

Can anyone help?</USERNAME>
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Plusnet Hub with Google Nest WiFi

@ajpspjp you can't set the google nest WAN to use PPPoE, the PlusNet router makes the PPPoE connection. In order for the Nest to use PPPoE it must be connected to a VDSL modem or a router in modem only mode. Unfortunately the PlsuNet Hub one does not support a modem only mode. The alternative is to set th Nest into Access point (bridge) mode , see here https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en . In this mode the Nest does not need to make a PPPoE connection.

Actually , there MIGHT be an alternative if you don't mind a double NAT situation. You can try setting the Nest WAN to DHCP rather than PPPoE. That might still enable it to work in a mesh environment

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ajpspjp

According to Google support, bridge mode can only be enabled once setup has been completed. However I can't complete setup because I can't get any internet connection with the Google Nest WiFi Router connected to the Plusnet Hub, so seems like I'm going around in circles.
I get an error about incorrect WAN settings if I try DHCP.
Seems like the two might not be compatible but I've seen other people on the internet get it to work so I'm baffled.
JohnSolent

I’m finding the same problem.