cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub one WAN port

MTC

Plusnet Hub one WAN port

Can anyone please advise me whether I can use the WAN RJ45 socket on my Plusnet Hub 1 router as an ethernet port ?  The reason I ask is that I have used up all the yellow LAN sockets with various pieces of networked equipment and need another one for a new printer.  I have plugged the new printer into the WAN socket and it prints fine.  Al the other networked equipment works fine.  I can still access the internet with my desktop which uses an ethernet patch cable plugged into a LAN socket on the router, and I do not detect any loss of speed.  I can also read and write to other computers on my Home Group.  So in other words, everything seems to work normally.  The router is connected of course to the Fibre with an RJ11 to the phone socket, meaning that the WAN socket is redundant.

So while while I am not aware of any problems, I do not want to use the WAN port for the new printer if I am doing something I should not do.  I do not want to upset the broadband applecart.

Any re-assurance that this is OK would be most appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Plusnet Hub one WAN port

I don't know about the WAN port but it sounds like you could use a gigabit switch for future-proofing.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MTC

Thanks for the idea.  If I need to expand further in the future, that would be the solution.

Actually, now that you mention it,  I have an old LinkSys hub in the loft from the early days of networking computers - probably about 20 years old - and I wonder if it would work.  Technology and speeds have moved on since then, though, and it may be a problem, but perhaps worth a try.  It can't do any harm.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Switches are more efficient at moving data around a network than hubs and route that data at higher speeds.

But worth a try.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

They are cheap too!

Less than £20 - and you can daisy chain them if you get desperate.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."