cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub one - Port forwarding issue.

RyanH94

Plusnet Hub one - Port forwarding issue.

Hi all,

Having trouble trying to port forward certain ports. I've gone through the firewall/port forwarding section within the router and added the custom ports I'm trying to forward, selected my device (PC), but still no luck. I've checked the ports online to see if there open but they're all still saying closed.

I've reset the router after making the adjustments on the ports, disabled firewalls on the pc and the firewall within the member center completely off.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
RyanH94

Re: Plusnet Hub one - Port forwarding issue.

Since this thread had no response over certain amount of hours, i ended up calling them. Lad on the phone was absolute clueless, had no idea.

time to find an new provider i think!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What ports are you trying to forward, and to what application on your (Windows?) machine? If your machine isn't listening on the port you are forwarding, then it will not be shown as open when checking online. There are no recognised issues affecting port forwarding on the Hub One so something else is at play here.

If you are using a Windows machine, it's also worth checking that your network connection is set to Private and not Public as that can cause problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RyanH94

Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to port forward xbox live ports/certain game ports which are required for that certain game. I've even tried doing an static IP through my ip which would maybe make an change.

My device is set to private, and I've allowed the ports through inbound/outbound through windows firewall + the router itself.

I've added my plusnet account info through this community account so maybe you could check there.

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Thanks. So the game is running on the Windows machine, correct?

Regardless, this sort of thing is typically handled by UPnP which the Hub One supports out of the box. It doesn't normally require any ports are explicitly forwarded.

As mentioned in my last reply, a port is not going to show as open via an online checker unless there is software running on the Windows machine that is listening for, accepting and responding to unsolicited traffic directed at it from the Internet. This is typically things like servers (game or otherwise) that need to receive an incoming connection attempt that isn't preceded by an outbound request from your machine.

So, even if you do need to open these ports (which I'm sceptical about to be honest), then they would not show as open unless the particular game server/client application is running on the Windows machine and listening for the traffic. Actually creating the port forwarding rule is only part of the equation.

Tip: if you run 'netstat -a' from a Windows command line, it will list the interfaces/ports that the machine is currently listening on e.g, this shows that ports 21, 80 and 443 are open and ready to receive connection requests:-

PS C:\Users\Bob> netstat -a

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    0.0.0.0:21             HOME-DESKTOP:0         LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:80             HOME-DESKTOP:0         LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:443            HOME-DESKTOP:0         LISTENING

If you do the same, and the ports you've forwarded aren't listed, then that will explain why the online checker shows them to be closed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cochin007
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I think the router sucks. I assigned local static ip and checked DMZ to see if it works. But dmz doesnt list all the ips..

Hope some one opens the firmware and fixes it unofficially. I cant use the talktalk router because it wont accept user id and passowrd ...