cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub one Changes WiFi Channel Automatically?

diond09
Hooked

Plusnet Hub one Changes WiFi Channel Automatically?

Hi All,

I had terrible wifi speeds on 2.4ghz, so upgraded to 5ghz wifi dongle. I separated both 2.4 & 5 on the Hub, renamed them but only turned on 5ghz. Still poor sppeds / signal to the point of not working at all.

So, I turned off automatic smart wireless and chose channel 112 (It was originally channel 40, I think.) Excellent, full signal strength and no drop outs.

However, when I turned on my p.c. the next day (my modem stays on), the speeds / signal dropped again, so I checked which channel I was on, and low and behold,it was back to channel 40. Also, automatic smart wireless had turned itself back on again! This happens time and time again. I can change it to any other channel, but as soon as I turn off my p.c. and restart, the channel resets to 40 and automatic smart wireless comes back on.

Has anybody experienced this, and if so, were you able to do anything about it? Cheers.

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Plusnet Hub one Changes WiFi Channel Automatically?

That is very interesting.

Only thought is channel 112 is a DFS channel, and it could be by software design if the Hub detects a radar signal, it reverts to automatic channel selection rather than shut down the 5 GHz radio.  I'm speculating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I've experienced the same thing happening with my Asus DSL-AC68U.

diond09
Hooked

Many thanks Bill. Whether by 'coincidence', but since I posted, the problem seems to have gone away.....for now.