cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub default gateway - Why does this even work?

Deedpopo

Plusnet Hub default gateway - Why does this even work?

Hello,

I have just left Plusnet for TT after 11 months and decided to use the hub as another access point (wired and wireless)

I also have a BT HH6 online as an AP (as.254) so have set the +hub as .253, the thing is that there is not an option on the +hub to set the default gateway (which is now the TT router at .1) yet it seems to work although I've only tested wireless so far.

What trickery is going on here?

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Plusnet Hub default gateway - Why does this even work?

Surely the hub, now AP is seen by the router as just another device connected to the router, the same as say a computer? So why would it need ta gateway to the outside world? Isn't that handled by the router?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I think you can't stop the Plusnet hub from allocating IP addresses via DHCP.

Ideally the only device with DHCP enabled should be the TT router.

I wouldn't expect it to work unless you acquired a devices IP address from the TT router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Deedpopo

Hi,

Thanks for replying,

Yep the TT hub sees the +hub at .253 as expected but with the BT HH6 I am able to tell it where to find the gateway and thus DNS server so that it can direct locally connected traffic out into the WWW, the +hub does not have this option but still lets my phone connect to the internet as if it knows where to find the gateway and DNS.

It seems to auto detect the gateway as a DNS server, both the BT HH6 and +hub are working as I want but I can't understand why the +hub is working without the giving it what I thought would be the required information.

Cheers,

Gordon.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

@Deedpopo  I assume that you have dhcp disabled on both the hh5 and the hub one, since it probably wouldn't be working at all if it wasnt.

Any connected devices will get their default gateway via dhcp and therefore from the TT router which will supply its own address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Deedpopo

Yes, only the TT hub has DHCP enabled.

I was just pleasantly surprised that the +hub worked without an explicit setting to tell it the address of the gateway which the BT HH6 has.

Thanks,

Gordon.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Neither the hh5 or the +hub are acting as routers, they're just acting as network switches,. All devices have the tt router as the gateway and so any non local traffic will be directed at that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Possibly this might help https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138... I think I did similar myself recently using this info.