cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One wont send internet signal to TP Link Range Extender

sadssandiford
Hooked

Plusnet Hub One wont send internet signal to TP Link Range Extender

Hi, I live in a busy location with lots of WiFi, all on band 6.

I set my PlusNet Hub One to use band 10, as it was least populated!

Unfortunately, this caused my TP Link WA750RE range extenders to loose internet signal!

They connected wirelessly fine, just no internet signal.

When I reset PlusNet Hub one to band 6, internet comes back fine!

This problem only happens with PlusNet Hub One!

When I use my old router on band 10 or my phone as a Hotspot on band 10, I get internet fine on range extenders!

Any ideas?Huh

Brent

5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Plusnet Hub One wont send internet signal to TP Link Range Extender

It is good practice to only use non-overlapping channels 1, 6 or 11 in a congested 2.4 GHz wifi band

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Channel 10 interferes with devices on channel 11 and vice versa.  It is better to share the same channel rather than interfere with neighbouring channels.

If you have an android phone, download and install 'wifi analyser' from farproc from Google Play store to check your neighbours' wifi signal strength.  

The Hub One may just simply be more sensitive to interference than your previous router.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
sadssandiford
Hooked

Hi, I've got WiFi analyser, that's how I know band 6 was congested. There were no signals from 9 to 11, that's why I chose band 10 and that's the channel that caused the problem! 

When I changed the channel to 6, which has multiple users on 5, 6 and 7, this caused the problem to dissappear, good Internet but lower range! 

So this is opposite to the point you raised! 

Any other ideas? 

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Did you try channel 11 ?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
sadssandiford
Hooked

Hi all, I thought I'd fixed it by resetting to channel 6 but this is a strange problem.

I have lots of wireless n type devices including 2 x Nexus 7 (2012) and 2 x old HP Touchpads.  I also have 2 x TPlink n type range extenders! 

The problem is that some of the items work OK but some say they are connected wirelessly but no Internet!

This problem usually is on the Nexus devices but it varies.  Sometimes nexus work but TPlink don't, sometimes one TPlink works the other doesn't!

It only shows up when the device is connected at 2.4Ghz channel, but sometimes works on 2.4Ghz channel.

The other strange thing is when the device is connected wirelessly but no Internet, I can't connect to Hub One using its IP address, 192.168.1.254! Can connect to IP when the device is connected and has internet

This seems to me it isn't really connected wirelessly if I can't talk to router!

If I reset the router everything works for about 10mins then random devices have the fault of connected wirelessly but no Internet!

Help please. 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Try disabling 2.4ghz band on the router; the 5ghz is far less populated..currently.

If some of your devices are only usable on the 2.4band, change the SSID on your HubOne

so you have 2 SSID's transmitting.