cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One upgrade, completely clueless :)

FIXED
loftybloke
Grafter

Plusnet Hub One upgrade, completely clueless :)

Hi All

Since my wife and I have been working from home, the Plusnet Hub One we currently have is noticeably struggling with multiple devices connected to the wifi. Requiring either device reboots or the whole router needing to be rebooted before the wifi becomes connectable again. Wired connections don't have any trouble, but we are also looking to add a personal laptop or two to the mix and want something a little more reliable if possible.

Problem is that I have next to no clue whatsoever about what sort of router will happily support devices either "en mass" connecting to the wifi, or dropping off and rejoining for example. Doesn't usually come up as a SQL server SA, that stuff is already dealt with Wink

If anyone has any patience or an idea of what might help I would be really appreciative, if not I'll try and teach myself and work it out, just thought a head start might be good.

We have an unlimited fibre package and the router just goes into the new wall device that the engineer fitted when we upgraded to fibre.

Thanks in advance Smiley

7 REPLIES 7
Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet Hub One upgrade, completely clueless :)

Fix

Have you separated the 2.4 and 5 Ghz wifi into separate SSIDs?

As here

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Making-5-GHz-have-separate-SSID-with-the-Hub-One/m-p/1349587...

loftybloke
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't done this but if there is a how to, I will attempt it Smiley

Cheers

loftybloke
Grafter

Is there a way to know which device should ideally be on which SSID?

Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

2.4GHz is slower but better for range.

5GHz is faster, and less congested.

After changing the SSIDs you'll need to reconnect each device. You'll see both SSIDs listed in the available networks. Choose 5 GHz if the device supports it and the signal level is reasonable.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Baldrick's excellent guide (at the beginning of this thread) to replacing Hub One with a BT HH6 might be the answer. You'll get one on Gumtree for £10-£30 and it's doing a great job for me.

loftybloke
Grafter

Brilliant cheers for all the info
loftybloke
Grafter

Separating out 2.4ghz and 5 ghz seems to have solved current issues, tyvm