cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One replacement

k3caz

Plusnet Hub One replacement

Hi all

Looking for a replacement hub, that has the capability to provide its own DHCP server, also I am after a device that does not have wireless capability.

I have access points throughout the house so wireless is not a requirement

5 REPLIES 5
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Plusnet Hub One replacement

Welcome to the forums

Why not simply turn off the wifi on the hub one > http://192.168.1.254

Click Settings > Advanced Settings and click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button.

Click on the Wireless tab and then the 2.4GHz Wireless option

On Wireless network enable, select No radio. Click Apply at the bottom of the page

Next click on the 5GHz wireless option

On Wireless network enable, select No radio. Click Apply at the bottom of the page

Stick some tape over now amber wifi light on router.

No extra cost to you and the default DHCP on that router needs no further tweaking.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @k3caz,

I'm afraid that we don't offer any routers with zero Wi-Fi capabilities, but as @DS has suggested, you can just disable the wireless functions on your current router. When it comes to 3rd party routers, I'm afraid we can't offer any support beyond giving the required setup instructions to get it initially connected to the internet, though other members of the forum quite regularly discuss 3rd party router setups and may be willing to offer some advice on this front.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
k3caz

That is already done, as the advanced settings configuration is fairly basic, i want to allocate my own DNS server IP's without having to manually input it in all devices. Was looking to use a layer 3 small switch but would rather just get a small vdsl router

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw, I believe the BT Business Hub 5 and newer BT Smart Business Hub have ability to let customers specify their own DNS servers.  (Must be the 'Business' version)  Plenty of inexpensive ones on eBay.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise, you will need to turn to 3rd party VDSL modem routers such as TPlink TD-W9970 and just simply disable the wifi if you have a low budget  Try the emulator

https://emulator.tp-link.com/W9970V2_Emulator/index.htm

If you feel adventurous, perhaps try a Home Hub 5/Hub One flashed with OpenWRT.  Plenty of used ones for sale on eBay.  As you will not be using the wifi, the degraded WAN to LAN/WLAN throughput will be less of an issue.  You may need to enable SQM (QoS) though.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Running-OpenWRT-on-the-Plusnet-Hub-One...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'