pantsman28
Grafter

Plusnet Hub One really struggling with amount of devices

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Lock down isn't kind to this router and even though we have 

current speed 

Downstream: 68.18 Mbps
Upstream: 19.57 Mbps

We have 5 of us all using the internet for School, Work x2, University and College for 5 days a week from 8am - 6pm, thats without any mobile video streaming or VOIP. What I am trying to say this router can not handle so many simultaneously connections.

Can Plusnet offer a better router because this is ridiculous that we have to book slot times with each other that allow zoom/video calls to lecturers or teachers.

Total device count: 4 lan, 4 wifi 2.4ghz, 10 wifi 5ghz

We also had to put a wifi extender in because the range quality was poor for upstairs users.

Normal usage this Router is ok but now its just becoming frustrating slow with drops out on some devices.

11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Plusnet Hub One really struggling with amount of devices

This is the only router for fttc.

Might be worth picking up a smarthub 6 off an auction site - plenty of threads on that.

Having said that it’s not a large number of devices you have.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pantsman28
Grafter

Is BT Smart Hub 6 the best option?

We have my two daughter using video calls for lectures, me has a web designer, my wife using Microsoft teams for online training etc and my son using normal browsing/watching videos for school work, thats not counting mobile browsing, film streaming, gaming or anything else.

I don't think it's the amount of devices but the high throughput of data at any one time.

Surely, the router is not fit for purpose under this now lockdown, which is very noticeable this time around?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@pantsman28 

A Smarthub 6 should help, especially with WiFi. You can pick one up from an auction site for about £20. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

With your usage you have to take into account your upload as well as download speed, especially when using video conferencing. This could be the limiting factor. Also when downloading there are frequent handshakes that have to be uploaded. These can get delayed if there is heavy upload traffic, causing download delays.
The bandwidth to your property is limited by the physical infrastructure and you can’t use this twice, regardless of what router you have.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@pantsman28 wrote:

Surely, the router is not fit for purpose 

ISP's only have to provide a means of connection, no guarantees of throughput or performance, and you certainly won't get a premium product. The Plusnet hub is sufficient for most forms of "normal" use, but the current situation can't be classed as normal for a domestic situation.

There are many routers out there now at reasonable prices that you can take from isp to isp when you change. My old SSE supplied router is great, the HH6 as suggested is also good, but locked down to BT companies.

Mark

pantsman28
Grafter

Thanks for the replies, 

@Marksfish you are correct, the router is sufficient for most forms of "normal" use but the current situation can't be classed as normal for a domestic situation. 

I think 2 things have come from this; one, the router isn't sufficient for heavy loads and Plusnet it's self have no alternatives other than supplying a line and basic router. So invest in a new router it is then.... 

I have been looking at Netgear Nighthawk X10 or something similar with Dual or Triband wifi. Failing that I could research some kind of mesh network.

The second, which is out of my control, is hope that FFTP comes very soon to the neighbourhood, but again it doesn't solve local wifi issues. 

Looks like Lockdown 3.0 has really shown how our new daily routine is demanding above what the infrastructure and basic technology can handle. 

Thanks for the help

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Aside from the wifi ( a big aside I know) I found the hub one fine for handling large amounts of traffic and I have similar stats to you.
Using a BT whole home wifi fixed the wifi issues for me and I'd say easily have twice the number of devices that you do.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pantsman28
Grafter

I think I grossly miss under calculated devices, I forgot about TV's, Smart plugs, smart lighting, smart heating, echo dots, tablets doorbell, etc, etc, etc..

I only counted what was connected at the time not what we actually have. I might go down the BT hub route as this may be the cheapest less fiddly route.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@pantsman28 

My guess is that WiFi performance may be part of the problem. It may also be neighbours with high usage of WiFi making the WiFi spectrum "fuller".

If at all possible, moving those using video conferencing to cabled connections will help.

Also (and possibly in combination with more cabled connections) one of the modern "mesh" WiFi systems might well help.

I am the satisfied customer....
pantsman28
Grafter

You saying that, I was looking at how many wifi signals are in the area and my mac can pickup at least 6. 

If I could move more on to cable I would, but all the slots are being taken with NAS, Backup drive, Hive hub and TV (for some reason my 4k tv could never attach to the Plusnet One hub) problem I do have is not enough plug sockets near the hub to go down the route of separate modem / router either. or have trailing cables all over house.

"Mesh" Wifi seems to be expensive and a hit or miss depending on what reviews you read.

pantsman28
Grafter

UPDATE: I ended up replacing the substandard Plusnet Hub One for the TP-Link Archer VR2800 and instantly a vast improvement with multiple streams accessing the wifi.

The WiFi range hasn't improved much but this was never a top priority. I haven't tested the QoS settings yet, but I will monitor this over the coming weeks.

I guess I now have a DSL router which I can switch to modem only, access point etc in the future if I need to, so I might invest in a mesh system (maybe a secondhand DecoM4) to test boosting the range further.

Conclusion: Plusnet Hub One really did struggle under these new and testing times (although better than my old EE router) which it replaced. If any one from Plusnet company reads this, time to upgrade the router you supply, especially if these lockdowns continue.

Thanks for everyones input who replied to my question.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@pantsman28 I suspect you were suffering from one of the known issues affecting Wi-Fi connectivity when using the Hub One. I was about to offer a remote update to see if would help your situation but see that this would now be in vain given that you've swapped it for an aftermarket device.

To put things into perspective, I have over 40 clients connected to a Hub One on my Home network at the moment, with two remote workers, plenty of streaming as well as multiple servers hosted on the network.

Excepting very minor hiccups, everything works as I would expect.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵