Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One and Draytek 2820

FIXED
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Plusnet Hub One and Draytek 2820

I have the PlusNet Hub One for my (soon to be activated - hopefully) "fibre" broadband service.

To minimise disruption when the changeover happens I've connected the WAN 2 port on my Draytek 2820 to one of the ports on the PlusNet Hub One and the Internet connection is working well.

I've turned WiFi off on the PlusNet router but it is otherwise set as out of the box.

I've currently only one problem with this set up.

When the Draytek was connected directly to the Internet (on WAN 1 which only supports ADSL) I could use a VPN client on a Windows phone or iOS device to connect in. I occasionally used this for remote configuration or to access files from a NAS drive.

I can't find any obvious method of making the VPN on the Draytek work via the PlusNet Hub One.

I tried putting the Draytek in the PlusNet Hub One DMZ, no joy.

I also tried adding forwarding rules although that was a bit tricky as I couldn't fine what ports I should be forwarding on the Draytek website.

My longer term plans are to use a BT Openreach modem in front of the Draytek once the VDSL fibre service goes live and eventually (when Santa approaches...) get a Draytek 2860 series device but in the meantime I would quite like to make the current combination work.

Any ideas ?

I am the satisfied customer....
19 REPLIES 19
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plusnet Hub One and Draytek 2820

I think you're going to struggle to get the draytek VPN to work via the Hub one. Ideally you need the Hub one in bridge mode ( i.e.just a modem ) but unfortunately it doesn't support that. Your solution with a BT modem should work fine since the 2820 will use PPPoE and will have the public IP assigned. Another option for a VDSL modem to use with the 2820 might be this http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/tplink_TD-W9970_review.htm, it does seem to be able to operate in bridge mode ( according to the manual! ) and is available for around the £35 mark https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Wireless-VDSL2-Router-Interchangeable/dp/B013OXVA6M.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro

MisterW

Thanks for the reply.

Once the "fibre" service is active I'll try a BT modem.

I think I should be able to make the VPN to work if I can work out the ports to forward, I can't see why that wouldn't work as it is an inward connection to a defined device.

It's no big deal as the fibre should be live in a week or so.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think I should be able to make the VPN to work if I can work out the ports to forward, I can't see why that wouldn't work as it is an inward connection to a defined device.

Port forwarding might work depending on how well it's implemented on the Hub one.

If you're using PPTP then forward TCP port 1723 and GRE port 47, for IPSec forward ESP port 50 and UDP ports 500 and 4500.

Problem is you may still have some built-in helper algs active which may interfere...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There's 2 ways to set up incoming traffic on the HUB One:

a) set up multiple part-forwarding rules

b) set up a "DMZ server"

Assuming that the Draytek is set up for NAT, (thus has a single IP on the Draytek's "WAN" side), then making that IP the "DMZ server" would hand *all* the fire-walling over to the Draytek

markhawkin
Pro

Many thanks Paul and Mister W for the helpful suggestions.

The Draytek is set up for NAT but for some reason putting it in the DMZ with no port forwarding rules doesn't allow my VPN connection to work.

I'll have a further go at this with other devices with VPN set up (I've a selection) but the fibre should go live next week and I'll be able to arrange a suitable outage to try the Draytek and an Openreach modem

markhawkin
Pro

On the assumption that someone might be interested I thought I would write up where I got to.

The "fibre" connection went live a bit over a week ago.

I had been using the Hub One on ADSL connected to the Ethernet port on the Draytek 2820 for a while but when the service changed to VDSL it all stopped working. Power cycling the Hub One didn't fix things so after some further messing about I resorted to pressing the reset button on the Hub One. That made the Hub One connect but curiously only at ADSL download speeds, upload seemed quicker.

This was true for both wired and wireless connections to the Hub One and via the Draytek. I left matters for a few days to see if the speed would increase but it didn't.

I contacted Plusnet tech support and got some fairly generic fault finding instructions. The BT fault tester suggested that the line had a maximum achievable download speed of 58.17 Mbps but measured 10.82 Mbps. Up measured 13.88 Mbps out of a possible 20.

I then changed the Hub One to connect to the BT test account and the measured speed was close to the achievable maximum.

Getting the Hub One to reconnect to Plusnet required another Hub One reset for some reason (it might have been operator error !) and after that the speed on Plusnet was back to 52Mbps. The resetting the connection seemed to have fixed some kind of profile limit somewhere,

So...

After a few days with the Draytek slaved off the Hub One (and still no VPN access even with the Draytek 2820 in the Hub One DMZ) I decided to try replacing the Hub One with the Openreach Modem I had obtained from a well known auction site.

After carefully following the instructions for a BT connection on the Draytek site 

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-btfttc-openreachmodem

(registration needed) but using my Plusnet username and password it all worked.

The sequence I used was

1) Disconnect the Hub One in the user interface

2) Change Draytek Settings & reboot

3) Connect Openreach Modem depowered

4) Power Openreach Modem 

5) Press "Dial PPPoE" in the Draytek "Physical Connection" page.

Connection came up quickly and was slightly quicker that the Hub One.

mvorajee

On the off chance you still want to use the plusnet hub one with the draytek 2820 (mine is a Draytek 2820Vn). and retain the functuionality of the Dratyek (VPN etc), this is how I setup the plusnet hub one and Draytek 2820.

Draytek Router: LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1

Plusnet hub one: LAN IP Address 192.168.0.1

Draytek WAN2 Settings:

===================

1) Static or Dynamic IP

2) Specify an IP Address (192.168.0.2, subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Gateway IP Address 192.168.0.1)

plusnet hub one "Advanced Settings"

==============================

Home Network

===========

IP Addresses (Set IP Address to 192.168.0.1, netmask: 255.255.255.0)

Disable DHCP

Firewall

======

DMZ (Enable) and assign Device IP to the Draytek WAN2 MAC Address.

Configuration

===========

Disabled

Port Forwarding

=============

Manage games and applicaton > Add new game or application

I then created a "draytek vpn" profile and added the following port ranges

TCP 500

UDP 500

TCP 1723

UDP 1701

UPNP

====

OFF

Broadband

=========

VPN (Port Clamping) = No

markhawkin
Pro

@mvorajee

Many thanks for the information. While my 2820 and an Openreach modem combination is fine at the moment, I may explore your solution at some stage.

As a matter of interest, is turning the DHCP off on the Hub One (or a static address on the Draytek) a requirement for it to work ?

mvorajee

I run DHCP server on my Draytek Router so I don't really need it running on the Plusnet Hub, hence why I turned it off. I also didn't want anybody connecting to the internet via the plusnet hub (as all my settings, firewall etc are setup on the draytek).

Note: Eventhough the plusnethub one router is on a different subnet (192.168.0.x)  you can still access it via the 19.168.1.x network by adding a route on your computer. I added the following persistent route on my windows 7 machine

Persistent Routes:
Network Address Netmask Gateway Address Metric
192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 1

markhawkin
Pro

@mvorajee

Thanks for the further information.

Not that it matters at all, but as 192.168.0.1 in your setup is outside the 192.168.1.xxx subnet I wouldn't think a static route would be needed to access the Hub One.

When I had a similar setup, I entered the IP address for the Hub One from a device on the Draytek and I could see the Hub One management pages.

mvorajee

@markhawkin

You are correct. Setting the correct subnet of 255.255.254.0 would allow access to the entire 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x range without the need for static routes. However, I have quite a few static IPs (20+) already set on subnet 255.255.255.0 so I didn't really want to go down the route of changing them all and to be honest I wanted to limit exposure of the plusnet hub to other network devices, hence why I went with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and used a static route. Granted its not foolproof and anybody with technical know can get around it, but its fine for the time being.

Sh500

Hi all,

I have a very similar setup: Hub One connected to a Draytek 2830. I've set it in the same way as one of the post here suggests. Internet connection works fine with this.

But on my Draytek I had (have) a few services that I was accessing remotely. For this I used a dynamic dns service (no-ip).

But with the Hub One connected in between. I cannot access any service via the ddns host.

My Hub One has been assigned IP 192.168.0.X. The Draytek (my internal LAN) to 10.10.10.X.

Can someone advise how I can continue to use ddns with this setup please? I have tried enabling DDNS on each of the routers separately, but no joy.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Have you thought about getting a static IP address?

It's a one-off payment of £5.

Sh500

Wouldn't I have the same issue with a static IP in my setup?

Edit:
So I can access my LAN devices remotely using the dynamically assigned IP address, but still not via the ddns host.

I've only had my Plusnet broadband enabled today, so that's presumably why the option to add a static IP is showing an error.

If anyone can advise on getting it working with a ddns, that would be great.