cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One: access control for new devices

FIXED
Dabblernorm

Plusnet Hub One: access control for new devices

I'm trying to control the hours of an Ethernet-connected teen who is able to google how to change his mac address! Does anyone know how to control the devices on the network?

I'm pretty sure that old routers used to have (effectively) an 'allow all' or 'approve' option.  Not sure about the terminology.  My Plusnet Hub One seems to allow anyone who knows the Wifi password or connects directly via Ethernet.

Problem: Teen used to be controlled hours-wise using "Plusnet Access Control" but now he changes his Mac address and he's back in, unrestricted.  Is there any way of combating this using the Hub One, or is there a cheap 'for home use' NAC device that I could use?

If I could allow approved devices only, that would make the Plusnet Access Control work for me again.  (Currently, the whole family internet access has to stop when his does!)  I'd actually quite like to be able to have a list of approved devices, really.

All advice welcome - using current or alternative hardware!

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Plusnet Hub One: access control for new devices

Maybe better control of the Teen would be more effective than control over wireless access times?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dabblernorm

@Baldrick1 I hear you.  Although if you have got a bullet-proof system then there's one less battle to have.

Not a particularly helpful comment.  Plusnet advertises child access control - I'd just like to be able to use that feature.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Dabblernorm 

When does a child become a tech savvy Teen? I fear that by failing to address the fundamental problem here you are simply heading for bigger problems down the line.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dabblernorm

@Baldrick1 Thanks for your parenting advice.

I asked a technical question - would be good to get some knowledgeable technical feedback from anyone who knows.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @Dabblernorm

If a user has managed to bypass our Plusnet Access Control system, there aren't any other ways we can limit access which would only affect one device. The only other thing I can suggest at this point is using Plusnet SafeGuard through the online Member Centre, though this would restrict access on all devices. 

It can be controlled though, you'll be able to block / allow certain categories etc. 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Dabblernorm

Thanks @adam945 .  So (aside from the "Access Control") is there a way of blocking unknown devices?  There used to be on previous routers, so I wondered if it was me not looking properly for that feature.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Fix

@Dabblernorm 

I think you will need to buy a device as I can not see anything on the Hub One that will achieve what you are looking for.

I have a TP-Link device which allows for whitelisting or blacklisting MAC addresses. Whitelisting would be the option you require which is only allow permitted connection.

Make sure if you decide to buy a Modem/Router it should have something like xDSL Router in the product description. Come back here if you need confirmation.

HTH

Dan.

Dabblernorm

Thanks @Dan_the_Van .  Advice gratefully received!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

With regards to whitelisting (which the Hub One doesn't allow; the Hub Two might as it has a 'Default' group that in theory contains all devices on the network) the question that remains is - How is your son altering their MAC address?

If they're taking advantage of randomised MAC addresses on a phone and just forgetting/rejoining the Wi-Fi network, then whitelisting may work.

If they're capable of something more involved, then in theory there is nothing stopping them finding out the MAC address of one of your connected devices and spoofing that to the device they're trying to access from. May not be flawless but would potentially work around things. Just worth bearing in mind before you spash out on any potentially expensive kit.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Depends on how tech savvy they have become, you never know a budding computer guru in the making.

With regards to expensive equipment, from my understanding to purchase a Hub Two out of contract  is £100 + p&p. Where as for an example a more configurable with extra features TP-Link device would be around £80 with no p&p. 

Dan.

Dabblernorm

Thanks @bobpullen and @Dan_the_Van .

This is on his Windows 10 machine.  (We said we'd never allow him to have his PC in his bedroom, but with lockdown schooling and the stress of social isolation during lockdown etc, we decided to lose that battle.)

He's no IT genius.  I suspect that he's just googled how to change his Mac address on his network adaptor, maybe after a tip off from more tech-savvy friends.  Hence me thinking that the 'whitelist' approach may help, or at least that functionality of having to approve new connected devices.

It sounds like the Hub Two or a TP-link NAC-style device may be worth a look.  (Regarding the latter: I struggled to quickly find anything which wasn't aimed at medium-sized businesses and up, rather than a home for 10-20 devices but I'll look again).

Thanks again for the help!