Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Router crashes/hangs

markangeltruema
Dabbler

Plusnet Hub One Router crashes/hangs

Hi

I have an intermittent issue with my Hub One router. A few times a week it will just hang. I originally thought it was a connectivity issue between the router and the line as my connected devices could still get a wifi connection but they would just hang when doing DNS lookups on pages.

However, last night it hung while I was watching a video over a local network connection so this appears to be a problem with the router in general. The only way to resolve that I have found is a restart of the router.

Has anyone else seen this/got a fix or is it a case of getting a new router from Plusnet? 

Thanks

Mark

17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet Hub One Router crashes/hangs

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

If you have your old router, try configuring that to PN settings. PN's Hub One not best router by any stretch of imagination!
With a non PN Router you can try alternate DNS Servers, such as Google's ie.,
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@markangeltruema 

I think it is quite likely you have the same issue as many of us here have.

Are all the devices you are having problems with using 5 Ghz WiFi?

If it is the same issue the main thread is here :-

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/td-p/16...

Plusnet have made no progress on this since April this year.

markangeltruema
Dabbler

Hmm, have skim read that and it certainly seems a possibility. Will check in more detail which devices arent on 2.5 and see if they still work when the issue next arises.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting in touch @markangeltruema I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal going into your router, and if you're having issues on a direct ethernet connection as well as over WiFi, this may point to a fault with the router itself.

Could you first carry out a factory reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset pin hole at the back for 20 seconds? Could you also provide more detail about what's happening for example is this apparent on certain websites or streaming services?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markangeltruema
Dabbler

Ive done factory resets in the past and this did nothing

Its the same issue as mentioned earlier in this thread.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/td-p/16...

The 5GHZ wifi is flaky as anything and just stops working on all devices connected to 5GHZ intermittently, requiring a restart of the router to fix the problem. My tv, which is an LG, always connects to the 2.4GHZ channels and that never has any issues.

As suggested in the linked thread, i've tried using fixed channels for the wifi and setting lease time to 21 days to see if this helps. Not sure it will based on other feedback in that post.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @markangeltruema 

Just to confirm are the issues you're having solely WiFi related?

Your original post suggests otherwise, that you're having issues on a wired connection. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markangeltruema
Dabbler

I didn't mention wired, i guess you interpreted " local network connection" as wired maybe, but that is indeed a wifi connection but only over the local network as opposed to going out over the phone line to the internet. My initial hunch was a line/internet issue until my tv couldn't connect to my DNLA server over wifi.

So yes, this does appear to be solely wifi related and specifically 5ghz (as my tv, which is 2.4ghz connected, can continue to watch netflix during these issues, whereas every other device fails)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry I read that as 'local area connection' Embarrassed

Let us know how it goes following the WiFi changes you've made.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
markangeltruema
Dabbler

Not good, 5gHz wifi just died again and had to reboot the router. Obviously something wrong here. After the recent troubles that i had with you downgrading me to ADSL for no reason and taking months to sort that out, i'm pretty much at my wits end with this service. When it works it's great but im fed up of having to restart the router on an almost daily basis.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @markangeltruema,

Thanks for getting back to us with that information.

I've processed a new router (free of charge, no p&p) out to your address, please let us know how you get on with this and if it makes any difference.

Thanks.

markangeltruema
Dabbler

Thanks, i'll give it a go and get back to you, much appreciated.

markangeltruema
Dabbler

With the new router i haven't had an issue for 2 weeks or more. Looks like it's fixed the problem

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

That's really good to see, thanks a lot for letting us know. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team