Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One (Noise)

FIXED
Grff
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Hub One (Noise)

I've noticed my hub one has a really loud high pitched squeak too, typically when anyone is using wifi.
I came onto the website to see if I could raise a ticket, but I can't even find the raise a ticket option now.
The squeal is loud enough to be heard over the top of the TV in the living room. Sounds like when capacitors are faulty, and have wifi issues.
I get 20 odd mb on the connection, but quite often seem to get buffering and slow down when using it.

Has anyone had a hub one replaced and found a quiet one? It's a tad unbearable when someone is on wifi and we're in the living room.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having this issue too.

I believe this is unfortunately normal for the type of router when there is a heavy amount of usage flowing through the 5Ghz bandwidth of the WiFi.

Can you try logging into router settings at http://192.168.1.254, navigate to the advanced settings then click on the wireless tab. From there you should be able to toggle the sync with 2.4 Ghz off and change the SSID of the 5 Ghz network.

Let us know if that helps?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Phillip
Dabbler

Funny how you can't admit that there's a problem with Hub One.

The noise is unacceptable and the line drops out of you try to upload large files to the cloud.

Still waiting on a so-called software update that you are supposed to be rolling out to fix that upload issue and the refund for the months of not using iCloud because of this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Have you posted in this topic in regards to uploading dropping connections? I believe my colleague Bob is pushing a temporary workaround on a case by case basis which appears to be resolving the issue.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Phillip
Dabbler

I spoke at great lengths to one of your support people who said that they won't push out the software update until it was fully tested, despite me asking to act as a 'guinea pig'.

I was told that when they do finally push it out they will refund me for the months since I logged the call with them.

If you have any clout and can ask them to push the software update out to me, I would be willing to give it a try.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've asked a colleague to get this pushed out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Phillip
Dabbler

Thanks. Fingers crossed.
riseholmecourt7

I've also noticed this strange issue - it only produces noise when using 5GHz, and is temporarily solved by a restart (or changing the 5GHz channel). The 5GHz throughput drops to half of that on 2.4GHz when the noise starts - any chance I could have the software update pushed through?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure what software update you refer to as the only firmware update is related to the connection dropping out completely when the upload speeds are being saturated.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
riseholmecourt7

Ah, OK! I thought there might be a fix in the works for the noise/5GHz issues too. I only switched to the Hub One as my Huawei modem/AirPort Extreme combo was losing around 5Mb/s off my sync speed, but I may have to switch back for reliability!