Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One (Noise)

FIXED
Lay_Z

Plusnet Hub One (Noise)

Hello, 

I've seen other threads regarding this issue, however don't see a recent one. 

Whenever im using  5Ghz connection (Firestick on TV) i get a very loud noise coming from my router. - Loud enough for me to turn all my connections using 5Ghz off. 

I noticed this when i first had my router, however moving it into my bedroom (due to connection issues) it has become horrible. 

Is there anything Plusnet can do? is there a router that doesn't make a noice when it is in use? or atleast quieter than the standard router that comes when you purchase Plusnet internet. 

Thanks a ton,

Sam

24 REPLIES 24
Lay_Z

Re: Plusnet Hub One (Noise)

Still happening 😕

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Lay_Z

I've never experienced this with a router.

Are you talking about a low pitched noise (50 Hz) or a high pitched whine (a few kHz)?

My guess is that it is power supply related and the 5GHz increases the power consumed.

I would, at a first option, request a replacement Plusnet Router since I don't think this is "normal".

I am the satisfied customer....
Lay_Z

Hi Mark, 

Its just like short bursts of high pitch static noise. Ill go about requesting a new one in a few days

Thanks

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fix

Hello @Lay_Z

Yeah, that doesn't sound good. I've the same router, using the 5 Ghz frequency all the time and I haven't experienced this. I've sent you a new router now which you should receive within the next 3-5 working days.

It'll come with a free post returns bag, if you could pop the old one in a nearby post box that would be great.

I hope this helps fix things.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Lay_Z

@Anoush

New Router is here, and no noise! 

Faulty one shall be returned in the most within the next few days! 

Thank you so much!!!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fantastic stuff Grin Thanks for coming back to let us know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Phillip
Dabbler

I have discovered the same issue on my One Hub, just seems to have started and definitely only on the 5Ghz channel.

Not so loud as to distract me just yet but irritating nonetheless.

I take it that it isn't 'dangerous', i.e. an electrical fault or similar?

corbettm

Good Evening

I renewed my contract recently and received a new Hub One which made the same high pitched noise. This was replaced immediately. However, the replacement router has started making the same high pitched noise and now the wifi keeps dropping out. I have just been advised over the phone that I cannot have another replacement. I was also told my only option is to but my own 3rd party device.

Can you confirm this is the case??? I'm pretty sure my contract doesnt say anything about this? surely if the equipment you supply isnt working properly you should replace it?

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@corbettm

Welcome to the forums.

As for your legal rights which Plusnet cannot change, I would suggest reading this article "How to complain" http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/how-to-complain

And then if you wish to lodge an official complaint, follow the procedure shown here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

For future reference a link to it is shown at the bottom of every webpage as "Complaints Code of Practice"

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there @corbettm

Sorry to hear of how this has been handled by our support team.

As always, I'll pass internal feedback on.

I've sent you a new router which you should receive within the next 3 to 5 working days.

Please let us know how you get on.

@Phillip - Sorry that your post was missed. How's your router, still having the same issue?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Following my response, I've been advised by our Products team that this is a known issue with the Hub One and it shouldn't affect the function of the router or cause any performance issues.

As such, I've cancelled the RMA as it's unlikely to fix the problem.

If your wireless signal is dropping, this is likely to be a different issue. For help on this, please see: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
outrage117

my router is doing this and it keeps dropping aswell. Sad

DavRo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

My 8 month old hub has just started making a sort-of ticking noise. It sounds a bit like it has disk drive! Maybe it's been triggered by the hot weather. I fancy it's putting out more heat than usual, but I'm not sure.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@outrage117 wrote:

my router is doing this and it keeps dropping aswell. Sad

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems.

From the exchange to the router, things are looking pretty stable to me:

If you're just having problems over WiFi, I'd advise checking this guide out: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/ let us know how you get on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet