cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One - NAT Loopback (hairpin) problems

ian2000t

Plusnet Hub One - NAT Loopback (hairpin) problems

I have a Plusnet Hub One router, which is linked to my own Router (DD-WRT).

My DD-WRT Router has ports forwarded to lots of different devices on my network (kodi web interfaces, ssh to servers etc.). All of this works outside the house - e.g. "mydomainname.ddns.net:3322" translates to "server1:22".

However, if I do the same internally, I get nothing. I have to use internal server/port to connect "server1:22".

I have everything configured in DD-WRT as it should to allow this (and it worked at the previous 2 houses on Virgin Media - same DD-WRT router).

So, does the Plusnet Hub One support "NAT Loopback", or can this be enabled in some way? I saw guides suggesting I connect through telnet to reconfigure - but I also saw guides stating the Hub One doesn't support Telnet?

3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Plusnet Hub One - NAT Loopback (hairpin) problems

When you had Virgin Cable, I presume the superhub was configured in 'modem mode'.  Your DD-WRT router's WAN interface was/is configured as a DHCP-client and wired to the superhub.

By wiring your DD-WRT router direct to the LAN ports of your Plusnet Hub One router.  You now have a double-NAT configuration.  ie. 'router behind a router'  That's why loopback doesn't work.

If you use a VDSL 'bridge modem' and configure the DD-WRT router to use PPPoE instead of DHCP protocol, everything will work like it used to with Virgin Cable.

Unfortunately, the Plusnet Hub One does not offer a 'bridge mode'. The BT Business Hub 5 does offer a 'bridge mode' option btw.

Alternatively, a used Openreach branded Huawei HG612 (rev 3B) or less desirable ECI VDSL2 bridge modems can be bought cheaply off eBay.  I presume you have FTTC fibre broadband.

The TPlink TD-W9970 also offers bridge mode setting.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
ian2000t

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at those options.

So, can a HomeHub 5 be used  for Plusnet? They're not hard-coded to only work with BT accounts? Are they as useless as they were about 5 years ago?Huh

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Yes, Home Hub 5 and I believe the Business Hub 5 do work on Plusnet as routers. See sticky at top of this sub forum and this post I found:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/A-BT-Business-Hub-5A-on-Plusnet/td-p/1454231

Please note the Home Hub 5 does NOT have 'bridge mode' option. Only Business Hub 5 offers it btw.

https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-