Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Home Network Static IP Problem

FIXED
DCMacKenzie
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Hub One Home Network Static IP Problem

I have set up my our main computer as a Samba server on our home network. I allocated this computer a static IP, 192.168.1.107 to make it easy for all other computers on the network to connect to the server. Since yesterday, I have run into two curious problems. Firstly, even though I had set things up for a static IP address assignment (192.168.1.107), the IP address that I am actually assigned is different (e.g. 192.168.1.15 or 192.168.1.9), and when I looked at the "Home Network -- Devices" page, it told me that my computer (correct mac address, and IP address 192.168.1.107) was not connected to the network, even though I was able to access the internet from with my computer. When I checked my computer settings, it was telling me that my wired IPv4 address was e.g. 192.168.1.15 or 192.168.1.9 and that I was connected to the internet. Today, I have started to find the static IP address assignment changes each time I boot up this computer; it is currently 192.168.1.9. It changes, even though it is set to be allocated a static IP, originally 192.168.1.107.

Can anybody help?

AMD® Ryzen 3 2200g with radeon vega graphics × 4

ASUS Prime A320M-K Motherboard, 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM (8GB)

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Plusnet Hub One Home Network Static IP Problem

@DCMacKenzie  try leaving the computer set to DHCP and set it's static IP from the Hub one

See here https://2ellsblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/09/set-up-a-static-internal-ip-address-on-bt-home-hub-5/ ( NB the Hub One is basically a rebadged HH% and the settings should be the same )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DCMacKenzie

Thank you. That was what I was already doing. But, even though I had it set for a Static IP, it was changing. At the moment, it seems to be stable, but I am curious why it is set at 192.168.1.9 when the DHCP Network Range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253.

I will only say that the problem has been fixed when it is stable for a couple of days.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, in that case give the computer a true static IP via network configuration , but one that's outside the router DHCP range e.g something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.63. You'll also need to set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 (the router)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DCMacKenzie

Fix

I tried an IP outside the router DHCP range, but that didn't work, so I gave it the one it had originally. One thing I should add is that I had to set the DNS to 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8; doing both of these, it now works. everything seems back to normal.

Selection_003.png

I'll give it a while, then if there are no more problems, I'll close it off as fixed. Thanks for the help.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I tried an IP outside the router DHCP range, but that didn't work, so I gave it the one it had originally. One thing I should add is that I had to set the DNS to 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8;

Sorry, I forgot youd need to set DNS servers as wellSad The problem with using an IP in the routers DHCP range is that, if you have enough devices then the router may allocate that to some other device and then you really will have trouble...

DCMacKenzie

It is stable now, so I have marked it fixed. Again, thanks for the help.

johnmario

Accordingly, every device now has a static IP - otherwise, nothing will work. Some of the devices such as webcams have the 'always allocate this IP address' option, but the desktops, etc have static IP's set up via the network properties on each device.

DNS range is set to the default 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253

Other points to note, I am using some power adaptor LAN extenders.

Some of the static IP's set are outwith the range noted above and I wondered if this could be causing the problem. I'm not sure if the static IP's set should be inside the range noted above or outside and I wonder if that's where the problem lies as currently, I have both. The 'always allocate this IP address' options are inside the range noted above and other devices that have the network settings modified to a fixed IP on the device only are both inside and outside the range noted above. For further more information about IP visit our sitehttps://community.plus.net/ or for information Data Recovery Dubai Group.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure if the static IP's set should be inside the range noted above or outside and I wonder if that's where the problem lies as currently.

If you set a static IP on a device using it's network settings, then that IP should be outside the routers DHCP range, to avoid the router allocating the same IP to someone else.

Fixed IP's using the 'always allocate this IP address' option , by implication, should always be inside the DHCP range, since the router is allocating them from it's DHCP pool

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I don't know if the OP's router has the same capability but with a BT Smarthub there is an option in the network settings DHCP range to select an 'always use this IP address' against each connected device.

I use this with a device that was set by default to a fixed address within the  DCHP range without issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'