Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Plusnet Hub One Firmware update

Hi @RPrie, thanks for the update.

I've spoken with the internet wizard that is @Gandalf who informs me he hasn't received a response from Openreach in relation to the DLM as of yet.

We'll chase this up for you ASAP and hopefully will be able to update you within the next 3-5 working days. (We expect it'll be sooner but have to give their standard response times)

If you need anything else in the meantime, please get in touch.

RPrie
Dabbler

Hey @OskarPapa

Thanks for getting back to me!

Not a problem with response times - I know there's a usual turn around period and @Gandalf mentioned to check it next week.

I think as much as anything, I was curious if I need to do anything with the Plusnet question / ticket that opened yesterday?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey @RPrie

Good news I've got confirmation from my faults colleague that he's added your account to the tracker for a DLM reset. Apologies that it wasn't done 3 days ago, it looks like he may have missed the email I sent on this occasion. Sad

Regarding your support ticket feel free to ignore that for now, it'll stay open for the next 14 days which would be plenty of time for us to find out if the reset has worked or whether we'd need to explore the option of sending an engineer out.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RPrie
Dabbler

Hi @Gandalf

You are a legend! Thank you for sorting this and thanks for clearing up the confusion. I did wonder if there had been some internal confusion looking at the logged ticket but not to worry!

With a bit of luck, I'll be back in touch after the weekend to report back some good news.

Thanks for your help and have a good weekend!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem at all.

I'd allow around 2-3 working days from today. Fingers crossed it improves things.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RPrie
Dabbler

Morning @Gandalf

So... what a weird week Cheesy

The DLM reset took place apparently at Monday of this week at 5:30PM - I did not realise this as I was having some electrical work and testing completed - part of this was to check the circuits - they're only 12 months old so we are definitely safe from interference and any other problems.

Not knowing when the reset was going to take place - its a lottery....

Anyways, reset took place and my sync speed has shot up - happy days!! though I did have a number of drop outs Monday night owing to said planned work and then the DLM possibly wondering what the heck is going on.

Tuesday am - I miss a phone call from PN support for 2 reasons.

1 - I was not in the house

2 - The modem is in the test socket

I maybe need to update my contact preferences I guess......

So I got a report back - I guess you'll be able to see it... Saw the obvious er..... "issues" Monday but things appear OK ish otherwise on paper - unless I missed anything?

I ensured the router is still in the test socket as there was a request to complete some tests - I updated the ticket yesterday morning but received no response the rest of the day - maybe you guys called me on the land line again Funny

So sync rate still remains from what I can see NE but speed is all over the place, presumably due to disconnects etc and DLM working through the motions - have ensured nothing is now touched at all - full on change freeze.

So at this point and given the various speeds, a few questions:

1) My Plusnet connection profile appears to be stuck with the banding figure detected through OR.

So, I understand that BTOW ot BTWS band a connection based on the DLM statistics (resolved by the DLM reset that you guys completed) but then on top of that, it is "profiled" by you guys to make sure I'm not getting more than I pay for so to speak.

Going here:

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

I can see that its stuck? Is this stale data or does this marry with what you can see on your system?

2) One of your community colleagues assisted a fellow customer with similar issues who also like me has a static IP address. One colleauge reset the profile and a second then advises that:

"As you have a static IP address, your IP profile setting will affect your throughput."

Thread below

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/IP-Profile-stuck/td-p/1598526

Please can you explain what that is about? I'm amazed that a static IP can have performance implications unless this is a "caveat" with your internal profiling platform.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad to hear the reset has been done. As far as I'm aware we don't receive any feedback from our suppliers regarding these, but I can see your sync speed is now much higher at 66.9mbps.

It looks like your connection is starting to stabilise:

image15452244702808

1) My Plusnet connection profile appears to be stuck with the banding figure detected through OR.

So, I understand that BTOW ot BTWS band a connection based on the DLM statistics (resolved by the DLM reset that you guys completed) but then on top of that, it is "profiled" by you guys to make sure I'm not getting more than I pay for so to speak.

Going here:

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

I can see that its stuck? Is this stale data or does this marry with what you can see on your system?

I've nudged that up for you now to the max. It'll find its way back down by itself to the right level.

It's not designed to make sure you don't get more than you're paying for though, that's what your actual package is for, which should match what is provisioned at a wholesale level.

2) One of your community colleagues assisted a fellow customer with similar issues who also like me has a static IP address. One colleauge reset the profile and a second then advises that:

"As you have a static IP address, your IP profile setting will affect your throughput."

Thread below

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/IP-Profile-stuck/td-p/1598526

Please can you explain what that is about? I'm amazed that a static IP can have performance implications unless this is a "caveat" with your internal profiling platform.

The connection profile is something from a bygone era, which I believe was part of the traffic management setup we used to have. The majority of connections on our network ignore this profile completely, but due to the way accounts with static IPs are routed, unfortunately it still does have an impact if set below your sync rate/IP profile.

If your interested in knowing more, our broadband service manager made a post here about a year ago.

The reason why connections with static IPs are routed through additional equipment is because it makes it easier to process house moves while keeping the static IP the same.

Hope this helps.

[edit]
Fixed quote and made visual RADIUS more visible.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RPrie
Dabbler

@Gandalf - Youre an absolute legend!

Thanks for all of your responses and links - interesting reading!

Is there anything that I should do or not do over the coming days?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem at all.

I'd just keep an eye on the connection.

I'll leave your support ticket open with our faults guys. Once they get back to you they'll check your connection and advise accordingly; likely to be either everything looks to be sorted, or we'd need further investigation if there are still drops.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet